Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting a new Laptop But don't know where to start..

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Moo Cow

Moo Cow

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:32 AM

Hey all!

I am hopefully getting a HP Laptop with Windows Vista Home Professional on. I'm Happy about getting it but i need help on where to start with it. For example downloading Avast. Since i am getting a custom built one theres no windows Defender or Norton on it so therefore, i'm a little confused on what to do/get. Is there any chance i could get infected while downloading Av's or any Service packs? Please Let me know soon! (Because its arriving in 11 days)

Bye-Bye 'till the next post :3
-Planet Cow-ums

I'll Believe ANYTHING when Cows fly!!! :3

CHOOOOOOOOOCOOLAAAAAAATEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:02 AM

Are you connecting to the Internet through a router.If so its possible your router will have a firewall on it and that will give you some protection.Once you have connected to the net I would download avast,the av of your choice,which is a good free av I use myself.I am not sure if windows defender comes with Vista.If not download it at Microsoft its free.A good software firewall is P.C.Tools own firewall.Or you can also get windows firewall.But if you choose windows also download Vista Firewall Control from Sphinx software.It makes your basic windows one way firewall into a good two way firewall.Everything I have mentioned is freeware.You could also get spyware blaster that will put a list of bad sites and cookies into your internet security zone.Which browser are you oping for.A lot of folks like firefox with its add ons like no script and adblock.If you go with I.E.8.get I.E.7.pro which is a good ad blocker amongst other things.Finally windows defender is o.k.but I would Download Malwarebytes and or superantispyware to run on demand scans on your P.C.Another good freeware I would recommend is Winpatrol for stopping unwanted applications running on your P.C.Then there is CC Cleaner for getting rid of junk on your P.C.Piriform that makes CC Cleaner also does a good free defragger as well.

#3 Moo Cow

Moo Cow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:31 AM

Holy Noodles!

Thats alot'a things ;). Where, exacly, do you get Firefox from? I've never known this since ever...And thanks for your advice. :huh:
-Cow-ums

I'll Believe ANYTHING when Cows fly!!! :3

CHOOOOOOOOOCOOLAAAAAAATEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:15 PM

Firefox is available from www.mozilla .com.Firefox is a good choice and a lot of people like it for its good security.Especially with add ons like no script and adblock.Fortunately all this is free as well.At the end of the day download what you prefer but I have just given you apps with good reputations and best of all are free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users