Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BOOT ISSUE

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tntpub

tntpub

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:39 AM

I AM HAVING TROUBLE BOOTING MY LAPTOP AFTER USING AUTORUN TO DISABLE STARTUP PROGRAMS I DO NOT NEED. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED AFTER USING AUTORUN:

1. MY LAPTOP WOULD BOOT, GET TO THE ACCOUNT SCREEN
2. STATE LOADING SETTINGS AND GET TO THE DESKTOP WITH NO ICONS
3. THEN IMMEDIATELY LOGS OFF AND GOES BACK TO THE ACCOUNT SCREEN.

AFTER THIS KEPT HAPPENING I TRIED TO USE THE ULTIMATE BOOT DISK TO FIX THE PROBLEM. NOW AFTER MY SYSTEM BOOTS PASS THE WINDOS LOGO SCREEN I JUST GET A BLANK SCREEN.

SAFE MODE ALSO DOESNT WORK. NOT SURE WHERE TO GO AFTER THIS WITHOUT DELETING FILES AND REFORMATTING THE HARD DRIVE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:23 AM

Windows repair?

It's hard/impossible to guess which key (apparently) files you disabled via Autoruns.

Do you have a Micrsoft XP install CD?

System manufacturer and model?

Try getting screen where you use Last Known Good?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

Louis

#3 tntpub

tntpub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:10 AM

I WAS ABLE TO GET TO THE THE LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION BUT THAT DIDNT WORK EITHER.
I HAVE XP REINSTALL CD FROM MY OTHER HP LAPTOP WHICH ALLOWED ME TO RUN A CHKDSK /R. THAT STILL DIDNT WORK.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:06 PM

Thanks.

I would download a Recovery Console CD...burn a bootable CD...and then try the fixboot and fixmbr commands.

Download Recovery Console, Bootable ISO - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

Active@ ISO Burner - http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm

Fixboot
Writes a new partition boot sector to the system partition. The fixboot command is only available when you are using the Recovery Console.

fixboot C: (where C: is the drive on which XP is installed)

Fixmbr
Repairs the master boot record of the boot disk. The fixmbr command is only available when you are using the Recovery Console.

fixmbr

A new master boot record will be written to the boot device, which is the drive on which your primary system is loaded.
If an invalid or nonstandard partition table signature is detected, you will be prompted whether you want to continue. Continue.

Louis

#5 tntpub

tntpub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:32 PM

now what?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:12 PM

If you completed the running of those commands...with no joy...my solution would be a repair install.

Louis

#7 tntpub

tntpub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:16 PM

I USED BARTPE TO RECOVER MY FILES AND THEN USED WINDOWS RECOVERY DISC TO REINSTALL WINDOWS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users