Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry program & driver updater

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 majax79

majax79

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:49 AM

Hello,

I'm using Windows XP 32bit and I need recommendations for two different programs.

1) A registry program that does two things: nicer GUI with faster search feature than regedit & ability to lookup registry errors.

2) A program that will identify my drivers and update them.

I don't think there are any programs that reliably work in the #2 category. I figure I'd give it a shot. I have Dell XPS Gen 5 and after losing my driver disc it's been a nightmare. Windows XP loves to give me WMD drivers :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:39 AM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for a several reasons:

:trumpet: Registry cleaners can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines. Many users (including some Staff Members) have reported problems after using registry cleaning tools - to include those tools released by Microsoft. This can cause your system to become unbootable.

:flowers: Registry cleaners generally don't do anything significant for your system. This topic discusses it in greater detail than we could address here: http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61015 Although the topic discusses the XP registry, the concepts there apply to all other versions of Windows.

:thumbsup: Not all registry cleaners create a backup of your registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting/logging in, then there's no backup to restore in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 majax79

majax79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:25 AM

Ok how about a link to a registry guide then?

What about a program that just makes it easier to search the registry?

Edited by majax79, 15 June 2009 - 09:27 AM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:41 PM

how about a link to a registry guide then?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/demystifying-the-windows-registry/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users