Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Real Time Scanners Use 90% or More of CPU After Installing SP3

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:31 AM

This is driving me nuts.

I recently (finally) installed Service Pack 3 to my XP Professional system. Now it seems that whatever realtime anti-virus scanner I employ, it's CPU utilization approaches 90% or more whenever I open an Explorer window. Displaying the contents of any folder can sometimes take up to a minute to complete while Explorer paints the icons for the files (until it's done, each file has the generic icon and cannot be clicked).

I've switched from Avast Antivirus to AVG Free with the same results. I even did a completely fresh install of Windows XP with SP3 slipstreamed in to no avail.

The only workaround I've come up with is to disable the real-time scanner, which is not ideal.

Google has not been helpful in this matter. Does anyone have any ideas?

PS
This also occurs sometimes when installing a new program, especially if it's a large program with lots of ancillary files.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:38 AM

Have you tried using MSCONFIG to disable all of your startup processes except the AV to see if one of those other running processes may be screwing things up? Or disable all startup processes and manually start the AV real time scanner?

Some other process conflicting somehow could cause it. Just shooting in the dark, but one of your ram chips could be bad too. I've seen bad memory cause some extremely unlikely problems.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:08 AM

Thanks for the suggestions possumbarnes, but I'm afraid my difficulty is not one of misbehaving startup item nor a faulty RAM module.

I'm extremely conservative about what I allow to start up with my system. MSCONFIG is just one fo the tools in my arsenal against this performance threat. No, I know that it's the AV scanner and I know that it cropped up with SP3.

As for a RAM module being bad, I have Ubuntu running just fine on the same system, with no errors indicative of a hardware failure of any kind. Ergo, it's likely to be a Windows-specific software problem relating to Service Pack 3 and it's interaction with on access scanners. Does anyone know whether SP3 affected the NTFS driver?

An interesting note: replacing the Windows Explorer with Freecommander as the default Windows shell does not solve the problem. This leads me to believe that Explorer is not the culprit. I've checked the consistency of all volumes using a boot-time chkdsk as well as verifying all drive's SMART status as being healthy.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 15 June 2009 - 07:09 AM.

#4 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:25 AM

The reason I would lean towards a hardware issue is because of the fact that there is next to nothing found on this problem anywhere. Very few, if any, people have had this same problem with SP3. I've had many people bring their computers to me to work on and I updated them to SP3 while having possession of them. I think I've done the update on computers with just about every AV program out there. (Norton, McAfee, AVG, Avira, Avast, Rising, and more but they are slipping my mind right now) and never have seen an issue like this. The only thing I've ever come across with SP3 upgrades is the sound not working with SP3.

Just my two cents, but I'd start with memory and then move to a different hard drive, if possible. You most definitely know more about the software than I do, but I almost always lean to the hardware side first with a flaky problem like this.

Like I said, just my opinion.

Edited by possumbarnes, 15 June 2009 - 07:26 AM.

What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:12 AM

Try Avira Free AV or something other than the two AV products you mentioned. Probably some driver conflict

AVG users started to diminish because of such quirks (raises hand), I've not ever read up much on Avast (or used it).

Louis

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:37 AM

Download a fresh AVG
Remove the one you have installed
Install the new one but pay attention to the screens & when the option is offed select to do a custom install
When the options box is presented take the checkmarks out of the boxes by "Link Scanner" & "Additional Languages" .
Finish the install.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:34 PM

Try Avira Free AV or something other than the two AV products you mentioned. Probably some driver conflict

AVG users started to diminish because of such quirks (raises hand), I've not ever read up much on Avast (or used it).

Louis

I'll give Avira a whirl, thanks.

Download a fresh AVG
Remove the one you have installed
Install the new one but pay attention to the screens & when the option is offed select to do a custom install
When the options box is presented take the checkmarks out of the boxes by "Link Scanner" & "Additional Languages" .
Finish the install.

I downloaded a fresh version, uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled fresh version, paid attention, rebooted; no love, same madness. :thumbsup:

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:57 PM

Amazing Andrew,

I don't think AVG is your problem.
I have it installed , as described, & right now my CPU usage is at 0% on the Task manager performance page.

I also have Malwarebytes but it is not running in "real time", only when I launch it to do a scan.

If you happen to have the new version of Ad-Aware it is horrible about sucking up resources & slowing a unit down.

I quit using it because of that.

Any program/utility you have [other then AVG] that has a "real time" scanner running is goig to cause a serious drag.

Almost forgot to mention, I am running XP Pro with SP3 .

Edited by fairjoeblue, 15 June 2009 - 01:59 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:15 PM

Visual aide:
Posted Image

#10 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:16 PM

Do you have any "rare" components on this computer? Something that most people do NOT have that maybe Microsoft did not test a driver for against SP3 before releasing it?

Possibly an errant driver that is conflicting with the AV scanner somehow.

Have you rolled back to SP2 just to make sure the problem goes away?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:02 PM

FWIW: I'm running a scan with MBAM now...I have Avira active scan on...and my System Idle is still no less than 55% right now (X2 4400, SP3).

Louis

#12 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:36 PM

" my System Idle is still no less than 55% right now (X2 4400, SP3). "

Where are you guys getting your figures ?

I have XP hacked/modified, nothing running that isn't neccessary, [Yes AVG is installed, no link scanner] & in the Task Manager at a idle I show 36 running processes & 0% CPU usage.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 15 June 2009 - 03:36 PM.

#13 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:45 PM

Trying to post a screen shot.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 15 June 2009 - 03:46 PM.

#14 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:54 PM

I have a screen shot uploaded to PhotoBucket but can't get it to show on BC .

Edited by fairjoeblue, 15 June 2009 - 03:57 PM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:52 PM

Did you miss the fact...that I have MBAM running a system scan?

That means...it's not just in the background keeping watch.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users