Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apple vs PC [new laptop]

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Daxxa

Daxxa

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:41 AM

I've always had PC but know my way around a mac fairly well. At the moment I have a desktop which is getting on, keeps crashing and is generally fairly crap. I feel I'll need to get a laptop for uni.

Anyway I'm going to get a new laptop but cannot decide between PC and apple.

I'm looking at the 15" Mac Book Pro and linking it up with one of these:

http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookpro/specs.html
http://www.apple.com/uk/displays/

I have not really looked at any Windows laptops yet.

I will be using it for taking notes in lectures, write ups and various academic programs. Aside from work, other than a bit of music editing, all I will use it for is internet and films really. One other thing is, I have just over 150GB of music and I'd have to have all of that on the laptop, which will obviously mean I'll need a large hard drive.

Would people recommend mac over PC for a student, or would I not need a laptop at all really and should I just stick with desktops?

Prices aside as I can get healthy discounts on both.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:01 AM

You may or may not get good answers here only in the fact that this is a PC dominated site! I know very little about Mac's, I do get to use my buddies once in awhile. I myself have considered a Mac, they seem to be so trouble free. They have near zero hack issues and very few malicious stuff directed at them, there from my reading no attacks on the OS at all. There have been a few on the programs, my buddy has two PC's in his home office but lives with his Mac on his lap. My thing is I have five PC's and very shallow pockets so I doubt a switch for me, I might as well wear out what I have!!!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:42 AM

<<Would people recommend mac over PC for a student, or would I not need a laptop at all really and should I just stick with desktops?>>

I don't think many universities...suggest to incoming students...that they buy/bring MACs to orientation in the Fall :blink:.

My point of view would be...why spend more money on what's required...than I have to?

As for large hard drives, it seems that 250GB drives are standard now. And the original hard drive can always be removed/replaced by a larger one.

The one thing I would suggest as an important consideration...is the ability to easily reinstall/repair the O/S from a real disc (CD/DVD).

Louis

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:52 PM

The reason why Mac's have few attacks is that there are so few of them. Hackers don't want to write code that affects a small portion of all computer users. Most universities are OS agnostic, they don't care which you use so go with what you are most comfortable with. However, not all are and some university departments have their academic programs set up to prefer one or the other. For instance, the art department may require Mac's but the computer science department only works with Windows. I second what Louis said about the ability to reinstall from a real disc, this is very important should the system fail.

Edited by DJBPace07, 17 June 2009 - 11:20 PM.

3939.png

#5 Alex_Computer

Alex_Computer

• Banned
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:26 PM

why would you pay like double for a Mac, when a Windows PC can do the same thing?

#6 sonicjet

sonicjet

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:52 PM

From what I have read,the macbook is the #1 collage computer by a huge distance,all because it works....unlike a stock vista,also,did you guys ever see the specs on the macbook pro,it is nearing that of an alienware m17,7hrs batt life!
I have quite a bit of macbook/OSX leopard use and I find it the best OS ever made,along with the best screen(better than the local Rich kid with his M17)

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:33 PM

Stock Vista works fine in most situations. From what I've experienced among the younger, more affluent students, the Mac is there but it is not dominant. With most other students, a standard PC dominates. Alienware PC's are a niche brand, catering to enthusiasts with premium prices. People looking for performance over battery life will choose an Alienware laptop. The more typical computer user, or student in this case, looks mostly at price and compatibility.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users