Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dualboot Windows Vista + Truecrypt

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 airescape

airescape

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:35 PM

Hi everyone,

Stressing out over an issue I'm having with my laptop. The problem seems rather complex to me, even though it might not be to any of you, probably just because I've been trying to figure out a solution on my own for 2 days and have encountered countless errors and issues. So, I will do my best to explain what I'm trying to accomplished, how I tried to accomplish it, and the issues below.

----------

I'm on a Toshiba Laptop, to which I have the Toshiba Vista Basic installation disk. It's not a disk with just vista on it, it has all of Toshiba's included software, drivers, etc. I've recently reformatted the laptop completely to all unallocated space in order to create two separate partitions, each containing a separate copy of vista. My reason for doing this, is I want to encrypt one partition containing Vista with Truecrypt, while leaving the other partition unencrypted. The partition that is encrypted will be smaller (50GB) and contain only work related programs and files, where as the larger unencrypted partition (approx 120GB) will contain all of my personal files.

So far, I've formatted, and installed Vista through the Toshiba install disk to the smaller of the partitions (the one I want to encrypt), since this was the first Vista installation, it set this partition as drive "C:", I'm not sure if this is what I wanted to happen, because in Truecrypt, when I'm am attempting to encrypt the partition, it asks if it is the default boot drive, and if it is, then I will be able to access both partitions with the Truecrypt password. However, if the other partition (which I hadn't yet created) is the default, in contrast, I will only need the truecrypt password to access the encrypted partition, and the other (personal) partition can be accessed without the password. This is what I want to happen.

So, my default boot drive is C because it's the only partition with the operating system installed so far. What I did next, was I downloaded Easus partition master and COPIED the C partition into my remaining unallocated space to create partition "D:", this partition is set as Primary and NTFS, like "C:". By copying it, I'm assuming it would take the operating system and, well make a copy of it, ready to use. I did this because the Toshiba vista installer does not allow me to select a partition to install to. I can either erase everything and install it fresh, or keep the partitions, and it overwrites the first partition which happens to be the first one I created.

In the middle of the copy process initiated by Partition Master, at about 80% completion, the computer reboots and I receive an error message stating that windows failed to start, and asking if I want to repair or start normally. I start normally and it boots into partition "C:". I try restarting to find out if I can choose which OS to boot into, but it just automatically boots into C everytime, so now I download "EASYBCD" to attempt to change the default OS, and I set it to my newly created drive "D:", which contains the recently copied OS (which I think is what I need to do to get truecrypt to work the way I want it to), and it continues to boot into Drive C. So, then I installed OSL2000 Boot Manager to see if I could get the two copies of vista up, and it worked, however no matter which partition I select, it ALWAYS boots into drive C.

I've also encountered the following error somewhere along the way: if it's relevant.

Windows Boot Manager: Windows Failed to start (00xc000000f) The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessable.

For those who don't read my wall of text (sorry), I want to dualboot Vista Home Basic with Truecrypt encryption on ONLY one of the partitions.

Anyone who can help, clearly this is driving me crazy, so I'd really appreciate it. Also please keep in mind that I am using the toshiba vista install disk, so uninstalling all the default software on a new OS installation as well as updating vista will take probably 8-12 hours per installation, so if copying the OS is possible, please keep my situation in mind when helping! :D

Edited by airescape, 14 June 2009 - 10:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users