Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FMG

FMG

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:30 PM

I have XP Pro and recently noticed that when I use IE's System Info utility, and check the Startup part, it lists everything twice. When I use other programs I only see system start up items once. To illustrate, the items are listed as follows:

401Comupd.exe
401Comupd.exe
6to4svc.dll
6to4svc.dll
audio3d.dll
audio3d.dll

and so forth, from items before those noted above all the way to the end of a long list, everything shown in duplicate.

Would anyone know if it's something due to the System Info program, that it's that program that's just showing items twice, or if I might really have everything loaded twice, which would certainly mess up the memory and I would think speed.

The computer also takes a while to shut down, and sometimes doesn't shut down power, though it may get to where the screen goes blank and show's "No signal", while the PC merrily spins away, not having really shut down.

Thanks for any advice.

FMG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:47 AM

Hi FMG,

Do you mean Windows Explorer's System Info under Accessories / System Tools?

Thanks.
Zllio

#3 FMG

FMG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:31 PM

HI Zllio,

It was from IE8/about/System Information/Software Environment/Startup. This appears to be the same screen as you get from Accessories / System Tools.

I just opened System Information using Programs/accessories/system information, and checked Startup as before. Hit Refresh and got a single listing of startup items.

Any ideas why I first got a double entry listing of everything? As long as each startup app is in memory just once I'm not concerned about it. I'll probably start going through start up apps after I run Autoruns again.

Thanks for your reply and anything else you might add!

FMG

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:17 AM

Hi FMG,

We are talking about two things here and they may or may not be related. With regard to the duplicate files being reported:

I think that IE8 is not yet where it needs to be. It might be worth a try to uninstall it, which can be done from add/remove programs and go back to IE7 or IE6 (if you have SP3 on your computer).

The other thing I would recommend is going to Start>Run and copy/paste in sfc /scannow and click on ok. Allow the scan to check your files to see if there are any corrupt ones. During the scan, you may be asked to put your Windows cd in so it has a source, but it will usually look on your computer for good files first. If your shutdown issues are related to corrupt system files, this may be helpful. If you aren't able to run sfc /scannow from the run box directly, go into the command prompt (Start>Run then type in cmd and hit ok) and run it from there. After the dos like box opens up, type in sfc /scannow and hit enter.

The other thing you mentioned is the shutdown problem. There's a good article on this here, although please note, that it's from 2007. It might give you some ideas though.

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

Let me know if anything here helps.

Zllio

Edit. added a comment.

Edited by Zllio, 18 June 2009 - 02:02 AM.

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:05 AM

I ran the System Information from System Tools, looked at the Startup Programs and also got a double list.

Then I observed that the User Name column was NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM for one entry and .DEFAULT for the second and everything was in pairs with different User Names.

A refresh still left me with "duplicates".

I am still using IE7 and the Startup Programs looks the same (exactly the same) since it appears IE and System Tools use the same method (msinfo32.exe) to retrieve and display System Information.

I read a little about the difference between the two users - not enough to explain everything, but enough to know I am not worried about it - for today and such a display is normal. I really doubt things are being started twice, or people would be screaming about this.

It appears the NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM user is higher than Administrator! Logging in that way is a trick, but may come in handy someday...

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:44 AM

Hi joseibarra,

Did you run across the system information when you were trying to understand the shutdown problem? I think the file listing is normal. Did the trouble-shooting article on shutdown problems give you any ideas or describe anything like yours where the screen goes blank, but shutdown still doesn't complete? How long is it taking between the time Windows says it is saving your settings to the time the screen goes blank? Does your screen go blank when you use Windows in general after awhile because you've set it to go blank when you're not using it? Or does this blank screen only occur during shutdown?

Zllio

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:55 AM

I was just looking at the double entry thing out of curiosity, saw what you described and wanted to understand it :flowers: .

Now your shutdown thing reminds me of another issue that is discussed here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

It would be interesting to know if you have the symptoms reported in the article (Event Log, etc.) or errors in the log about unloading user profiles, etc.

I do not have your problem, but the UPH Cleanup Utility seems to have made a lot of other people happy and since it comes from Microsoft, it must be great :thumbsup:!

UPH will install a new automatic service which you can disable later or just uninstall the whole thing from Add/Remove Programs and then look at other options if it doesn't do the trick.

You can do a search for UPH Cleanup and see what other people have to say and if their symptoms apply to you.

There are also "slow shutdown" solutions that I would not try, like creating a desktop shortcut to shutdown with a zero second timeout and stuff like that - these are not solutions, but workarounds to the real problem. I don't go for stuff like that.

If your screen goes blank "after a while" of inactivity, this sounds like a Screen Saver, Power Options thing. My screen goes blank after 15 minutes of inactivity because that is the way I have it set up.

Edited by joseibarra, 18 June 2009 - 08:39 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#8 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:11 AM

Hi joseibarra,

The tool you linked to is made for people who have shutdown issues due to specific software:

The User Profile Hive Cleanup service helps to ensure user sessions are completely terminated when a user logs off. System processes and applications occasionally maintain connections to registry keys in the user profile after a user logs off. In those cases the user session is prevented from completely ending. This can result in problems when using Roaming User Profiles in a server environment or when using locked profiles as implemented through the Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP.

Do you think this was the case for you, or do you think this tool fixed your computer for some other problem not mentioned?

Zllio

#9 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:20 AM

I have never used that tools, but some people with shutdown problems and the mentioned errors in the Event Log claim it is effective. It may not be for everybody - it was more like a reading assignment" and if the condition are met, give it a shot.

Here is more info that is good reading with a variety of shutdown maladies and potential solutions based on certain symptoms:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/shutdown_issues_in_xp.htm

#10 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:30 AM

Great article!
Thank you!

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users