Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reasons why a video card would freeze my entire computer...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Zazabar

Zazabar

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:23 PM

Alright, I seem to have a graphics card here. To be specific, an evga 8800 gts. Now it's not overclocked at all, the only setting I have changed on it, is the fan speed with riva tuner. Now my computer works and runs just fine and dandy. The problems arise when I play games.

I can play Assassin's Creed for about 10 mins and then it will just freeze my entire rig. I can't alt tab, reset, or anything. I have to hold my power button and do a manual reset.

I previously thought it was due to overheating, because the factory preset was auto and then when it hit 85c, it would kick up a bit, so I'll assume it isn't over heating.

I have all the up to date drivers installed and properly installed, at that. So here is my question: are there any other reasons as to why my video card would be doing this? I spose if anyone wants to know, I have singled out the vid card as the problem. It is def not over heating, as nothing in my computer is overclocked whatsoever and I have a huge zailman over my cpu inside my antec nine hundred. I noticed the freezing started around march, when it began to heat up a little bit. I used to have my window open and my cpu would reach around 25c underload. it only does this during gaming.

odd thing is, with all my games that it has crashed with, such as counter strike source, fallout 3, and left 4 dead, I left furmark running for about 20 minutes and it was fine. the gpu got really hot at around 84 c but then lowered slightly but was still stable. and these games are on diff hdds so it can't be those. MY ram timings aren't really that great and I still have reason to believe it is my ram, but wouldn't I just bsod?

sorry for the wall of text and any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:18 AM

First, I would set the video card ,fan & all, back to the default settings.

I would suspect either a AV or "real time" malware scanner of cuausing the issue.

Try syopping your AV program & playing the games .
If the problem is stillpresent & you have a 'Security suite" try disabling it when you play the games.
If you have a "stand alone" real time [constantly running] malware scanner try disabling it.

The idea is if you have a scanner that is trying to scan every page , or frame, it simply won't be able to keep up with a game , "choke", & freeze the computer.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Zazabar

Zazabar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:33 PM

Alright, I'll check that out. I'll post back with any additional info that I receive.

#4 Zazabar

Zazabar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:42 PM

Also to add, I have and use Avast( free edition) CCleaner, Spyboy, and Diskeeper.

#5 Zazabar

Zazabar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:11 PM

Well, I tried turning off Avast while playing and it still happened. I'm not sure if Avast has a security suite, but I completely turned off avast. I'm guessing I missed something?

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:16 PM

Open the Task Manager & use End Process to stop Spybot .
If you have "tea timer" installed make sure to stop it.

I used spybot for a long time but after trying Malwarebytes I quit using Spybot.

I never used the "Tea Timer" or any of the rest of the "real time" junk that came with Spybot.

I learned a long time ago that "real time" adware/malware scanners are mainly good for slowing a unit down & causing issies.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 Zazabar

Zazabar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:32 PM

I actually shut off diskeeper and so far it worked fine.

Yeah, I never installed that tea timer nonsense. It all just seemed like unnecessary stuff.

About spybot, it's never running all the time, I only open it when I preform searches and stuff. You have any idea what kind of Diskeeper things could be crashing my system? I just closed the entire thing off the task manager so I have at least summed it down to that.

And btw, thanks for the help. Without the thought of even shutting off a program of mine, I would've never had the idea of shutting diskeeper off. much appreciated!

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:08 PM

If the "diskeeper" you refer to is a third party installed program why not just remove it if it's causing a problem ?

Turning off or uninstalling a program is much less expensive & frustrarting then buying a new video card & having the same problem. :thumbsup:

Edited by fairjoeblue, 15 June 2009 - 04:10 PM.

#9 Zazabar

Zazabar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:35 PM

Well, yeah, but it's a nice defragging tool. I'm sure there's an option in there I can mess with to keep it running and still play my games. And this is this first time this has ever happened before. Well, in march it was. I'll try messing with some options.

again, thanks for the help.

#10 Zazabar

Zazabar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:19 PM

Ok, well I was just playing Fallout 3 and it crashed on me. I was even getting some slow down in the game so I had to set everything down to low. And after about 5 mins of play it crashes. Assassin's Creed played fine except for some slow down on the loading parts too. I have reason to believe this is because of my ram, but I won't be able to find that out until July. Werid how when I shut Diskeeper off, Assassin's Creed was able to play longer than it did before.

and now after playing it for a while with diskeeper off, Assassin's Creed still failed on me...

Edited by Zazabar, 15 June 2009 - 05:44 PM.

#11 Zazabar

Zazabar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:39 PM

Ok, so as an update, I've tried closing Avast and running the games and that didn't work. I also tried closing out Diskeeper and that also didn't work. It let me play Assassin's Creed for a few more minutes that usual but in the end it crashed.

#12 Zazabar

Zazabar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:46 PM

I guess an update to anyone who gives a damn about this. Disabled sound card and it sort of game my computer more life while playing Fallout 3. Still crashed tho.

#13 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:15 AM

I kind of lost interest when you wouldn't uninstall a 3rd. party defragger to help solve the problem.
It seems like you want a "magic cure" but aren't willing to dump anything that is causing the issue.
I kind of figured if you like diskeeper enough to keep it when you turned it off & the problem went away then there is no way I can help you.
One of lifes lessons, You can't have everything !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users