Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a computer based on the Core i7 (720). Need MOTHERBOARD help.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CrossCut49

CrossCut49

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:11 PM

Alright, so, me being the courageous 13 year old I am - have decided that I will build my own computer. My parents, brother and I have already agreed that a MUST is to have the Intel Core i7. I have been searching sites, and have been looking for a Motherboard for the i7 with HDMI Support. No Luck. However, I have come across about 2 motherboards which I now have to choose from. They are:

EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813188039

ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131359

Although they are recommended, as I filtered the results myself, I am unsure if there is anything of greater quality. Bang for my buck (or my dad's technically) is taken into account, although it won't threaten anything unless it's completely over-the-top. Also, this is going to be a mainly gaming PC. If there is an i7 processor with HDMI Support, or built for i7 gaming, then it would be greatly appreciated if somebody would inform me.

Thank you,
Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:06 PM

If it is a gaming PC, HDMI support on the motherboard is largely pointless as you will have a discrete graphics card installed. Most i7 boards are designed for high performance users with their own graphics cards. Thus, an on-board video card is not included with gaming motherboards. With discrete GPU's, the HDMI port is either on the card itself or available with a dongle. Both of those motherboards are by excellent companies and they are almost identical. They use the exact same chipsets and the almost the same layout, so ultimately price will determine the board. That is, unless you need 9 (EVGA) as opposed to 8 (Asus) SATA ports. I would go for the Asus as it is less expensive.

Edited by DJBPace07, 14 June 2009 - 11:08 PM.

3939.png

#3 CrossCut49

CrossCut49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:24 PM

Exactly what I thought, however, my dad said that the HDMI port needs to be on the motherboard as the motherboard is the center of operation. Of course, he's older and wiser, so I took his word to it. I should've taken his word for it as ell when he said that he wasn't nearly as good with computers as my brother was xD.

Anyways, thank you. I am currently running my computer on an ASUS SLI Deluxe P5ND2, and have experienced no Motherboard failure conflicts. Therefore, I am also strongly considering going with ASUS. Thank you for your feedback.

Robert

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:57 AM

There are no X58 boards with onboard video, so no worry about looking for an HDMI output on an i7 board.

Best "bang for the buck board" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128375

I tend to ignore Newegg ratings on many things, especially motherboards. Read a few of the posted comments there and you will understand.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:44 PM

Newegg's ratings can be helpful but should be taken with a grain of salt. Ages ago, almost all graphics cards were on-board with few choices for discrete card options. Most i7 boards are expensive as they cater to the gaming market, a Core 2 or Phenom II CPU is more cost effective, though not as powerful as, an i7. Remember, all motherboards are mass-produced so quality can vary from board to board.

3939.png

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:10 AM

This thread got me looking around Newegg yesterday and forced me to drop the hammer and get my X58/i920. What an evil influence this forum is.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:08 AM

Yes evil very EVIL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users