Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update page is blank, no automatic updates happening

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Eric_T

Eric_T

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:05 PM

Hello.

A while back, I had a malware issue where all google links got redirected and the computer didn't connect to any of the major malware protection sites. A very frustrating issue, to be sure, as I suspect you all remember.

I seemed to have been one of the lucky early ones to get it, and there was very little information about it on-line at the time. I finally found instructions that seemed to work: going to Device Manager, finding TDSServ.sys, and selecting disable, then restarting and running anti-malware software.

I didn't notice it at the time, but apparently I'm still not getting automatic windows updates and when I go to windowsupdate.com or windowsupdate.microsoft.com, I get a blank webpage -- whether I enter the site as a url or as an ip address. I've tried updating and running Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Spybot Search & Destroy (but not TeaTimer), and Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, but even on full scans, none of them is finding any problems. I looked in the hosts file and didn't see any redirects for those URLs (though there are a lot of entries that I presume came from Spybot immunization). I also checked Device Manager now -- there's no TDSServ.sys.

I'm on a laptop running Windows XP Home Edition 2002, with Service Pack 2, connecting to the internet wirelessly, running Zone Alarm but no Antivirus software.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

-Eric

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:43 AM

Microsoft Update Solution Center (includes a list of update issues)
How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update installation issues
Troubleshooting: Automatic Updates
You receive a scripting error or a blank page when you visit the Windows Update
...Errors when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates[quote]

Re-install Windows Update file
Microsoft Online Assisted Support: E-mail Support (no-cost for issues related to getting updates)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Eric_T

Eric_T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for the help. The repair script actually did the job. As an extra bonus, google maps works again too -- I'd forgotten that that was broken too, but it's nice to have it back.

It's a great service you guys run, putting in the time to help people like me. Much appreciated.

-Eric

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:36 AM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016