Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

College and gaming computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lysdexic

Lysdexic

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:18 PM

I'm looking to purchase this computer build at cyberpowerpc since I suck at building one on my own. I just want to know what parts might be conflicting, and what parts are overkill.

What are the primary uses for this computer?

Games(!!!), Internet, Email, torrents, virtual PC, video and picture editing, school, DVD Burning, and watching HD movies and TV series. I already ordered a 23"5 monitor off newegg with Maximum:Recommended Resolution 1920 x 1080.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, World of Warcraft:WotLK, Left4Dead, Team Fortress 2, Half Life 2 and the expansions with Portal, Lost Planet: Extreme Condition, and possibly Mass Effect if I decide to buy it.

I would like to run all the games on the highest resolution with max settings if possible. I don't think 1920 x 1080 would be possible, but around 1680 x 1020 or 1360 x 1024 is fine. I've never seen these games aside from WC3 on max settings so I'm really excited about that.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?

Yes. I like to keep iTunes up when I'm playing games. I sometimes play WoW in window mode so I can browse the net during raid wipes. I generally leave torrents up aside from when I play games. I almost always have iTunes up when I'm doing anything.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

I have a back up external 1 TB Hard Drive with all of my music and shows because my current 250 GB hard drive can't store everything. I got a measly 60 GB secondary hard drive and it doesn't help at all either. I'd like to be able to place my music, videos, and pictures back on an internal hard drive because I've heard that external hard drives are more likely to die than internal ones.

Here is what I've pre-built so far.

CAS: CoolerMaster Cosmos Silent Gaming Tower Case w/ 420 Watts Power Supply (Original Color)
CASUPGRADE: NONE
CS_FAN: Extra Case Cooling Fan (3 x Fans)
CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz 1333FSB 12MB L2 Cache 64-bit
CD: (Special Price) LG 20X DVD+/-R/+/-RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: NONE
CARE: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chasis with High Perormance Thermal Compound
FREEBIE_OS: None
FLOPPY: NONE
FA_HDD: None
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
FAN: CoolerMaster V8 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan (Extreme Silent Operation at only 22dBA + Overclock Proof)
FREEBIE_RM: FREE! 4GB USB Pen Drive
HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
HDD2: 250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive -- Recommended
IEEE_CARD: NONE
KEYBOARD: Microsoft® Wireless Desktop w/ Wireless Internet Keyboard & Mouse
MOUSE: NONE
MODEM: NONE
MULTIVIEW: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
MONITOR: NONE
MONITOR2: NONE
MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) EVGA nForce 780i SLI Mainboard FSB1333 DDR2 3 x PCIe x16 SATA RAID w/ USB2.0,IEEE1394,&7.1Audio
MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX)
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
PRINTER: None
PRINTER_CABLE: None
POWERSUPPLY: 750 Watts Power Supplies (Corsair CMPSU-750TX - Quad SLI Ready)
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: NONE
TEMP: NONE
TVRC: None
USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
USBHD: NONE
VIDEOCAMERA: NONE
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 CORE 216 896MB 16X PCI Express (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA )
VIDEO2: None
VIDEO3: None
VC_GAMES: FREE GAME - Battle Stations ** Pacific **
WNC: NONE

Here is the monitor I've ordered.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824009163

I do not plan on overclocking nor do I know how. I want the computer to be as cool and quiet as possible. I'm kinda peeved because the tower case I bought comes with a 420 watt power supply that I don't need, but that's alright. I would like this computer to last me awhile not necessarily for games. I don't really play new games much (aside from Valve games like possibly L4D 2) and as long as this computer can at least last me 6 or 7 years of gaming goodness on low settings down the road then I'll be content.

I already own the Windows Vista Ultimate installation disc. Can't wait for Windows 7 to become retail though. The monitor comes with speakers but I already have 5.1 Surround Sound speakers anyways.

All that said will it meet or exceed my expectations? Anything that's overkill or unnecessary? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lysdexic

Lysdexic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:25 PM

The total cost of the computer including the monitor came to $1393 after rebate. Good for pre-built?

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:12 AM

One thing you did not take into your thoughts was the band width at college, many of my friends kids crab about not near enough band width to play games. You may want to look into available band width at your school, it would be a shame to built such a nice machine only to be disappointed!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 jobob1

jobob1

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:28 PM

I suggest a new psu. 420 watts is not enough to run that system, especially one that came with the case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139006

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:02 AM

I suggest a new psu. 420 watts is not enough to run that system, especially one that came with the case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139006

I thought the same thing but found this in his list: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=C...amp;output=nojs

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 Lysdexic

Lysdexic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:27 AM

I thought the same thing but found this in his list: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=C...amp;output=nojs

Yea I got that covered. I read up a lot of reviews and basically they all said you can't go wrong with Corsair so I got one. I'm going to a local university and have good internet cable so I should do just fine. I've mainly been worried that I got a new computer with a bottleneck on say the motherboard that would hold back the performance of the video card and processor. Or whether I got enough RAM for what I want to do. Mainly things like that. So far it seems like I chose all the right parts. I know the things I really ignored in the past when I built my own was I underestimated how important a good power supply and tower case is. I think I got those covered this time. I like the case a lot because it doesn't have all those neon lights and isn't too flashy. Do you guys have any other suggestions though? Thanks for the replies!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users