Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can this laptop handle what I'm trying to do with virtual machines?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jerrykobes

jerrykobes

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:45 PM

I want to be able to run two virtual machines. The first one being a Windows Vista Business machine and the second being Windows Server 2008. Will a laptop with the following specs be able to run both virtual machines together comfortably? Also, please let me know if you see any issues I might run into with these specs.

Inspiron 15
------------
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6400 (2.00GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD
Bright, glossy widescreen 15.6 WLED display (1366x768)
8X CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini-Card
Integrated 10/100 Network Card
Windows Vista™ Basic

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:51 PM

feasible, with vista being such a memory hog, running both of those simultaneously with your base OS in the background might stretch it, but I can see that system being able to do it. Not sure I would though, why do you want 3 different versions of windows running at the same time on one computer though just out of curiousity?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 jerrykobes

jerrykobes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:32 PM

feasible, with vista being such a memory hog, running both of those simultaneously with your base OS in the background might stretch it, but I can see that system being able to do it. Not sure I would though, why do you want 3 different versions of windows running at the same time on one computer though just out of curiousity?

I'm trying to study up on network administration and it would be nice to be able to go to a coffee shop or a library with my laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users