Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Administrator Privileges!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 cconnect

cconnect

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:07 PM

Hi everyone! I hope that I'm posting this in the right forum section.

I have a computer running Windows XP Pro SP3 (2GHz with 1GB of RAM) and am getting the following message when trying to install any program:

"You must be logged in as an administrator when installing this program."

I scanned the whole computer with NOD32 Anti-Virus 2.7, AVG Anti-Virus 8 and MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware and found a lot of junk that I removed. After restarting the computer, I'm still getting the same message and can't seem to find the solution anywhere!

I tried right-clicking on My Computer ---> Manage ---> System Tools ---> Local Users and Groups ---> Users ---> and then right-clicked on my account name (user) and clicked on Properties ---> Member Of and tried adding Administrators so that the account becomes part of the administrator group and instead received another error which did not allow me.

EDIT: While making this topic, I decided to play around with it some more and possibly found the solution to the problem. I logged off the account that was having the problems and attempted to repair it in Safe Mode (Adding it as a member of the Administrators group) and it didn't work. I then decided to uninstall the NOD32 and that's when it decided to work. I'm guessing that the Anti-Virus had scanned the computer and found an infected system file that is a part of the Administrator Privileges settings.

It's either that, or I simply logged into another account and changed the problematic account's settings as I had said above.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:18 PM

Hello my name is Sempai and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

*We apologize for the delay. Forum have been busy.
*I want you to understand that I'm still in training. I will be working with my Coach so there's a possibility to have some delay between post.
*It is important not to make any further changes or run any other tools unless instructed to. This may hinder the cleaning of your machine.
*You must reply within 5 days otherwise this topic will be closed.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine.  Please perform the following scan:
  • Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links.  Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool.  No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note:  You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run.  After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection.  Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.  

Information on A/V control HERE

Dex :thumbup2:

========================
Reason for edit: Add DDS instruction

Edited by sempai, 14 June 2009 - 05:39 PM.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

Member of UNITE (Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators) 

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:37 PM

Due to the lack of feedback, this Topic is now closed.

In case you still have problems, please send me a Private message to reopen this topic within the next 5 days. Beyond that point, please start a new topic.

Orange Blossom :thumbup2:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users