Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OK I am ready to upgrade my old Dell

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 KISNA

KISNA

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 02 July 2005 - 01:40 PM

I have Dell dimension XPS T700r I bought few years ago. I'd like to upgrade it now. Looks like I will be adding more RAM as it only has 128 MB. I'd like atleast 512MB. It also needs a newer faster burner preferably a DVD burner. Upgrade OS to XP from 98SE. What is flush bios ? Do I need it ? What else did I miss ? Upgrade drivers ? What drivers ? Where to get them ?

Lets talk about RAM. My original system configuration lists this as memory

DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 128, 100M, 16X64, 4K, 168

I have never done any upgrades to this point. So that must be current as well. So where can I go to find a cheap compatible memory ? And if I bought a 512 RAM module that will give me a total of 640 MB RAM, right ? Or can I not have 128 in one slot and 512 in the other ? I will post more questions as I get more answers. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Edited by KISNA, 02 July 2005 - 01:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:09 PM

I would buy RAM from one of these three companys:
(just plug in your specs, they'll give you options)

Crucial

Kingston

Corsair

These are reputable companys that stand behind their products. Also, check out the info on
their sites. There's a lot of good info about RAM, definitely worth the read.

Some additional info on RAM:

There are such things as cheap , ninety day , or generic RAM, which is actually sold,
and doesn't meet the minimum standards of the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council), for use in computers. But it is still sold, and un-informed people, still buy it.

RAM can generally be divided into a few classes:
(Excepting Performance or Overclockers RAM, which is made to the highest tolerances)

Premium or Lifetime Warranty: This RAM is made from Identical chips, all tested
and meeting the assemblers standards, all from the same chip manufacturer and lot.
The capacitors and resistors are of the highest standard, and exceed the JEDEC
standard, and all are installed on a circuit board which is thicker than required . The
final product is tested to confirm that it is stable at the rated speed.

One Year Warranty: Very close, but may include memory chips from different batches,
although still the same manufacturer. The circuit board tends to be at least one ply
thinner, and the resistors and capacitors may have more variance. These still meet the
JEDEC standards, and are tested to make sure they are stable at the specified speed.

OEM: These are intended for sale to a manufacturer, not for resale, although they
often are sold retail. Often if you buy two sticks, you will find that they have memory
chips from different manufacturers. They still meet standards (the chips are certified to
meet the manufacturers specifications), but are often yet another ply thinner, and once
again, may have more variance in the tolerance of resistors and capacitors, and may
use fewer, than on higher quality RAM.

Generic or 90 Day RAM: This is the lowest quality you will generally encounter.
Often these are made of leftover chips; ones salvaged from returned and failed RAM,
RAM designed to run at a higher speed which failed and became unstable. They are
put on really thin boards, which do not meet the JEDEC standard. They rarely have
even the minimum number, and quality of resistors and capacitors, recomended by the
JEDEC .

Also, if you touch the RAM anywhere except the edges, you should know that the oils
and salts in your skin are corrosive, and will eventually damage the ram. And if you
touch it without observing anti-static precautions, you can cause damage, which may
show up immediately, or somewhere down the line.

This is why I always recommend that you spend the extra money to buy Quality Name
Brand RAM
with a lifetime warranty. I also prefer to buy all RAM at one time when
possible, and at a minimum, make sure it has identical specifications (easiest method,
make sure it is same manufacturer and model).
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:27 AM

Thanks tg1911 for that long reply. I'll look into RAM first. I am sure I'll have more questions later

#4 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2005 - 02:12 AM

So is this one compatible with my system ?

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...oductCode=80312

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2005 - 02:22 AM

It looks like it.
Good price, too.

The Crucial Memory Advisor tool says your system came with 96MB, plus that 512MB, will give you 608MB total.
The maximum memory your Dell Dimension XPS T Series can support is 768MB, so you should be good to go.

Just make sure when you get it, to check that the slots on the bottom of the card, match the ones on the motherboard.
Be sure to ground yourself before touching the card, or any components in the computer.
Static electricity can wreck your computer's internal parts.
Only handle the memory card by the edges, because the oil on your hands, could corrode the components on the card, over a period of time.

Thanks tg1911 for that long reply.

You're welcome, KISNA.

I am sure I'll have more questions later

That's what we're here for. :thumbsup:

Edited by tg1911, 03 July 2005 - 03:22 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#6 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2005 - 09:45 AM

As per my first post in this thread I have DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 128, 100M, 16X64, 4K, 168 for RAM. So I have 128 MB RAM now, if I am not mistaken. So it would add up to 640.

This is a really dumb question but how do I ground myself ? If I have no shoes on and I am sitting on ground (carpeted floor on second floor of my house) am I grounded ?

Yeah that is the best price I have found so far for a whopping 512 megs and I am going to order it now.

#7 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2005 - 09:54 AM

Only handle the memory card by the edges, because the oil on your hands, could corrode the components on the card, over a period of time.

I have some surgical gloves. You think I should wear those while handling the memory card ?

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:19 AM

To ground yourself, just try to remain in contact with a metal part of the case while your inside it.
It would be best if you didnt do this on a carpeted surface.
Put the computer on the kitchen table, or something.
If you don't have a non-carpeted surface, after grounding yourself, try not to move your feet, as this could lead to a static build up.
Just try to stay in contact with the metal part of the case, or at least touch it and not move your feet, before handling the RAM, or anything in the case, and you should be OK.

As far as the gloves, not necessary, but couldn't hurt.
Just make sure they're clean.

#9 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2005 - 05:53 PM

Got it. Thanks. :thumbsup:

#10 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:38 AM

Just adding my 2 cents,
Could you tell me the CPU speed, maby the type of motherboard you have. ect.
Done a google but couldnt find much on that computers specs.
If its a old computer upgranding the ram may not be all that helpful. You may need a better CPU or motherboard, And if you dont know maby you will want a better CPU sometime in the near future and find that your MB wont support P4 or what ever one you want. But i might be getting a bit ahead of my self lol post your specs and maby we can take alook at it.

#11 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 11:08 AM

OK this was my original configuration when I got it. Haven't done a thing to it other than re-install win98SE once. Just enetred my service tag at dell website and got the following info. Does it help ? Does it have motherboard, speed, etc listed ? I do know that it's a PIII 700 processor. Don't know about motherboard and don't think following has MOBO info. Thanks for your help. If you think I am better off buying a new PC rather than an upgrade, I most likely will.

PROCESSOR MODULE, 80526, 700, 256K, 100FSB, SLT1

CARD (CIRCUIT), PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD), W/O-AUD, TXXXr, COPPERMINE

KIT, DOCUMENTATION, TXXX, ENGLAND/ENGLISH

CORD, POWER, 125V, 6FT, SPT2, UNSHIELDED

KIT, MOUSE, DRIVER, V2.2C, MULTIPLE

MOUSE, PERSONAL SYSTEM 2, 6P, 2BTN, WHEEL, MICROSOFT

KEYBOARD, 104, 6P, UNITED STATES, MICROSOFT, PERSONAL SYSTEM 2, INTERNET

PAD, MOUSE, DIMENSION, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION

DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 128, 100M, 16X64, 4K, 168
COMPACT DISKETTE, BLANK, COMPACT DISKETTE WRITER, 1X/4X

KIT, COMPACT DISKETTE, COMPACT DISK READ WRITE, ADAPTEC, SOFTWARE, V3.5C

COMPACT DISKETTE, BLANK, COMPACT DISK RECORDABLE, 1-PK

COMPACT DISK READ WRITE, 680M, I, 5.25" FORM FACTOR, 8X, SONY, 1.0N

CABLE, AUDIO, MOLEX TO MOLEX

CARD (CIRCUIT), MULTI-MEDIA, AUDIO, CRTV-4780

KIT, SPEAKER, MULTI-MEDIA, 120V60H, ACS340

DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE, 680M, 8X, I, 5.25" FORM FACTOR, SAMSUNG

CABLE, DORADO/ATHENS/TUALATIN/ALMODOR, COMPACT DISK DRIVE, ENHANCED INTEGRATED DRIVE ELECTRONICS, DUAL, KLINGER

KIT, MODEM, V.90, DATA/FAX/VOICE, DIMENSION, ASIA, LATIN AMERICA, NORTH AMERICA

MODEM, V.90, INTERNAL, DATA FAX VOICE MODEMS, ASIA, LATIN AMERICA, NORTH AMERICA, DIMENSION, RE-SPIN

CABLE, AUXILIARY, INTERNAL, MODEM, 4C

CARD (CIRCUIT), GRAPHICS, 32MB, NVIDIA, M64, DIMENSION

DISPLAY, MULTISCAN, COLOR, 17, DUAL, P780, GOVERNMENT SERVICES AGENCY

HARD DRIVE, 20.4G, 7.2K, I, 1IN, NO CONTROLLER/NO CABLES, MXT-DRA

ASSEMBLY, CABLE, ATA66, 2DROP, KLINGER

CARD (CIRCUIT), CONTROLLER, PROCESSOR MODULE, ATA-66

CABLE, CONTROL, SCSI (SMALL COMPUTER SYSTEMS INTERFACE), HARD DRIVE, LIGHT EMITTING DIODE, 2C

FLOPPY DRIVE, 1.44M, 3.5" FORM FACTOR, NO BEZEL, SONY, F/EJ3

CABLE, DORADO/ATHENS/TUALATIN/ALMODOR, FLOPPY DRIVE, KLINGER

KIT, SOFTWARE, WKS-STE2K, 5.25" FORM FACTOR, ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MFGR., ENGLAND/ENGLISH

KIT, SOFTWARE, NAV-2K, 5.25" FORM FACTOR, ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MFGR., ENGLAND/ENGLISH

KIT, SOFTWARE, QIKN-PROMO, 5.25" FORM FACTOR, NON-FACTORY INSTALLED, ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MFGR.

KIT, DOCUMENTATON ON FLOPPY DISK, WINDOWS 98, OSR1, ENGLAND/ENGLISH

CABLE, WUOL, PRO100

CARD (CIRCUIT), NETWORK, ETHERNET, PC INTERFACE, 3C905C, 006

Edited by KISNA, 04 July 2005 - 12:11 PM.

#12 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 11:15 AM

If the above doesn't list the MOBO info, can I get from dell site ? I just need to know how to retrieve it. I am at work PC now and I don't have access to my PC till tomorrow.

Can't I find it at dell site by model or svc tag ? It's a Dell Dimension XPS T700r.

#13 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:37 AM

Alright I have ordered 256MB memory from crucial and it should be arriving anyday now. I read in a PC magazine last night that any time you add a hardware upgrade including RAM, it will generate more heat and you should consider adding additional fan. is this true ? Should I have to worry about heat in my PC after adding a 256 memory ? What would happen if I don't add a fan (since I don't know how to) ?

#14 coolchris706

coolchris706

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 12 July 2005 - 12:21 PM

Adding another fan certainly wouldn't hurt anything and would keep computer cooler. I don't think its really necessary to get another fan though. If you were getting a new hardware component that ate up alot of energy then a fan would definitely be recomended because the more energy it uses the more heat it is going to generate. A new fan can only better improve your system. Good luck.

#15 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2005 - 06:29 PM

Thanks. What about XP ? I saw this product. Very cheap for my *Dell*

http://www.pricegrabber.com/user_sales_get...&lot_id=1507202

Should I get it and do a clean install over 98SE ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users