Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

picture's

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 matty9376

matty9376

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:37 AM

hiya everyone, i want to move some pics from a really old computer that i have to the computer that i have now, Both computers are running xp so is there another way of doing it instead of burning them on to disk and then transfering them, Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:22 PM

You could network the two computers and then move the files...you could remove the hard drive from the old and attach it to the new and move the files...there are other ways but these seem the two easiest to me.

If the pictures are in My Documents...you will probably also need to take ownership of the folders there, if you move the hard drive to the new system.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:25 PM

Use a USB flash drive AKA: Jump drive, Thumb drive, etc.

If both will go online you could email then to yourself.

The only way I know to do a direct computer to computer transfer is with a crossover cable.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 matty9376

matty9376
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:29 PM

hi again and thanks for yer replys, Thought bout connecting the hard drive to mine but wasnt too sure if i could do it or not but thankyou for your help

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:47 PM

You can install the old HD in the new computer & get your pics.
I was hesitant about suggesting somebody start digging around in their new computer. :thumbsup:

The simplest way,
Remove the HD from the old unit
Turn the new 1 off & unplug it
Open it
If it has a CD drive that uses the same kind of cables simply unplug the CD drive & plug the HD in it's place temporarily
Start the unit
Open My Computer
The old HD should be listed
Double click to open it
Open Documents & Settings
Open the folder with your user name
Locate My Documents & open it
Anything you want to transfer right click & use Send to> My Documents
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users