Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Desktop Environment

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lleblanc

lleblanc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 02 July 2005 - 12:13 PM

Hi,

I found your website by looking for a remedy to the smitfraud virus. I followed most of the process to resolve the issue. What I did skip was the backup process that was recommended by CleanUp. I'm not sure if that caused the problem anyway.

My current problem is that I'm able to bool my PC and click on my user name to login to my desktop/environment. At that point, nothing happens, all I see the backgroup image (jpg) and that's it. No menu bar at the bottom, I can't see any of the files on the desktop, nothing. I also purchased McAfee virus scan and ran it. The app deletes some files and quarantined others (for whatever reason).

My biggest concern now is that I did not backup my files, which I would like to recover at a minimum. Whatever happens after that, I don't care. I have all the software to rebuild the box, so I'm open to anything at this point. However, i just want to access my personal files that I never backed up.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Leon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:17 PM

you can try this site.www.file-recovery.net. it is recommended by microsoft.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 03 July 2005 - 12:18 AM

Hi Leon,

No need for a recovery program or a reinstall. Your Desktop has been Hijacked. I don't have a quick fix for you, but there is a fairly easy workaround and then I recommend you submit a HijackThis log--Smitfraud usually is downloaded by a piece of malware already on your system and Smitfraud itself does different things to the desktop, so we need to see a log to know what to fix.

To post a HijackThis log:

Click on the link below and follow the steps in that tutorial so you can get a log posted:
How to post a HijackThis Log

You can of course skip step 1. But be sure to follow all the other steps and use the links in the tutorial to:

1. Download the self-extracting HijackThis.
2. Open the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum to start a new Topic in that forum. It is important that you post your log into a new topic in that forum. If you have any problems here is a link again:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...?act=SF&s=&f=22

It may be a day or two before you get an answer. But it is also important that you not post again to the topic you started asking for help or wondering if you will get help or otherwise "bumping" your thread/topic. In order to work on a first come-first served basis, helpers look for the oldest topics with zero replies.
---------------------
To work around the Desktop hijack, make a new desktop. Do that by going to your Control Panel and creating a new user account/profile. It will take a little setting up and tweaking, but at least you will know that your files are OK and you'll be in a more comfortable environment.

To get to your Control Panel, press Ctrl=Alt+Delete to open Task Manager. In the Applications tab, click the New Task button and type in Control Panel.

To find the files you had been using in your old profile, click My Computer, right click your hard drive icon, and choose Explore. Look in C:\Documents and Settings folder for a floder with your old user name. Then you can copy all the files in your My Documents folder into your new profile folder in Documents and Settings.

Maybe this is not very clear. Let's say your old user name/profile is Ab. The new account you create is named Bc. The data and files for your old account will be in the C:\Documents and Settings\Ab folder. The files in My Documents will be in C:\Documents and Settings\Ab\My Documents. You can copy all the files from ther into C:\Documents and Settings\Bc\My Documents.

For Desktop icons, copy from C:\Documents and Settings\Ab\Desktop. For Start Menu items, C:\Documents and Settings\Ab\Start Menu. Etc.

Then get that HijackThis log posted and we'll get your old account straightened out. We'll need to see a log from the affected account. So you'll need to log into that account and use the New Task button in Task Manager again and type in C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe if you have followed the directions above.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users