Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Sound Card for DVD movies?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gcj123

gcj123

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 01 September 2004 - 08:35 AM

Hi,

I am planning to purchase a 5.1 channel home theatre system. I have
drilled down to two choices 1) Creative Soundblaster 5.1 Live! 2) Hercules
Digifire 7.1 and am planning to use Creative Inspire 5.1 5200 speakers.

Would a Hercules Digifire 7.1 make a significant difference as against a
Creative Soundblaster 5.1 Live!? My main aim of purchasing is to watch DVD
movies.

I have heard that both these cards perform well, but if given a choice which
one would you choose and why?

Goutam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_canospam_*

Guest_canospam_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 September 2004 - 06:09 PM

SoundBlaster Live 5.1 but if you have a little extra why not go for the soundblaster audigy 2zs? Will blow both of those cards away with its sampling rate

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc....-102-171&DEPA=0

#3 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2004 - 06:34 PM

If both cards are priced the same, then there are a few things you should know:

A 7.1 card will not outperform a 5.1 card, when using 5.1 speakers

If you are concerned with sampling rates, then you are probably also concerned with speaker placements and extreme testing. When using them for DVD movies, each movie could be recorded with different rates, and results will vary

Speaker placements are dependant to seating arrangements for a 'sweet spot'.

Personal preferences vary.

Sorry I didnt really answer your question, but you could be asking me the same question between a Ford or Chevy.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#4 Guest_canospam_*

Guest_canospam_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 September 2004 - 06:52 PM

Thanks for pointing that out Jason I didn't even see 7.1.. If your getting 5.1 speakers set then go for a 5.1 card. 5.1 of course you know has the center the left and right channels and the 2 rear in stereo. and the sub. 7.1 has all that plus 2 right behind you and come through in mono. But still better than 5.1

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 04 September 2004 - 08:09 PM

While it is true that the audio CODEC will transmit the sound for the extra 2 speakers, when the audio is not set for 7.1, you do have to get 7.1 speakers to really take advantage of it. It is not as simple as having a 5.1, and adding 2 more.

One thing needs to be mentioned though. You will not get the same DVD experience as you would, when you listen and watch it through your TV. Typical set-up for 5.1 speakers on computers is different because of how close you are to your screen. If you can imagine speakers placed exactly the same distance from the user-it would be a very small room, or the screen would have to be big. When watching a DVD movie on TV, you are not sitting close to the screen. You will often have the space so that you are not close to the screen, and the back speakers are close to the listening position.

I have 5.1 on both my computer AND my TV. The best way to see how the difference is in sound, is to take some measurements. A tape measure works best, but you can also use a string just to get estimates. Draw the rough shape of the room, and put where the screen (monitor or TV) is, location of the primary sitting place, and take measurements on where you have (or want) speakers relative to your primary sitting place. If you see that there are some big differences between the spaces, then you will need to make adjustments to the individual speaker volume. If the difference between two or more speaker places is more then 3-4 times, then you may not be able to adjust that much. In the case that it is a TV setting, and you have more then one place to sit, you can measure from the center of the both of them.

Just as mentioned before, individuals vary in preference. There is more then one 'standard' even for 5.1 surround-Dolby is the most popular, but you could also see THX and others. 5.1 or 7.1 will be an improvement over just 2 speakers any day.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#6 Guest_canospam_*

Guest_canospam_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 September 2004 - 08:19 PM

You like dolby? aghh lol I love DTS so much better no sound loss!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users