Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restart Looping

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cesia

Cesia

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:14 AM

Ok, so I've tried contacting Microsoft Support several times, and they just keep sending me back to the form to request for help. I've given up hope on them. Anyways, here is my problem.

My computer is set to automatic update. I saw that it was updating, and instead of telling me it needed to restart, it restarted on its own. When it tried to restart, it gave me an error message saying that my sfc_os.dll file was missing before it restarted itself again. It then gave me the option to go into safe mode, which I did. It gave me a few memory errors then finished loading. Before I could do anything, it restarted again. It continued to do this till it stopped loading safe mode. It gets to the Windows XP loading screen, then restarts back.

I have tried restoring to last good known configuration, and it fails every time. When it goes to load now, it asks to run chkdsk, it freezes during the 2nd step. I have tried my hdd in my brother's computer which is the exact same model as mine, and was able to run chkdsk as well as load into windows. However, it didn't appear that the drivers for the mouse loaded as I wasn't able to use it and eventually the keyboard stopped working. I did scan it with Malwarebytes and Norton and nothing was detected. I was thinking that because of the memory errors, I could try replacing the RAM in my computer with those of my brothers and see if I make any progress. I don't think that's the only problem, but I could be wrong. I'm horrible with hardware.

I am unsure of anything else I can do to try and fix this. I don't have an OS disc, and my computer is a Compaq with a Seagate hdd. My OS is Windows XP Home Edition. If I can get the keyboard to work long enough, I may be able to copy files over onto one of my externals as it did seem to work well enough until I tried getting the mouse to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:44 AM

Compaq Recovery/Restore CDs, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...ocname=bph07143

Without a disk to reinstall/repair the O/S...and inability to boot into XP, there's little you can do to troubleshoot/correct whatever is wrong (IMO).

FWIW: Reference on the file mentioned, http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...library/sfc_os/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users