Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me destroy Remote Access

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ghead

ghead

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:27 AM

Ok well I have a great firewall and anti-virus and plenty of spyware programs but Remote Access is one feature of windows that can always be found to be taken advantage of and even a "legit" way for "legit" companies to spy on you like Microsoft, AOL etc...without your knowledge. As stated in there private policy's. Ofcourse they don't call it spying they call it "necessary information collecting to improve the users experience". I'm not some big conspiracy person, but ever since remote access came out for home computers it's been known to create big holes for intrusions. Even with the best firewalls and anti-virus software there is always a way around all that with remote access, which is why seeing how I will never need nor use it, I won't it gone.

I have Windows XP Professional service pack 3 and I would like to know if there is a guide or someone who can help me destroy, remove, disable, and stop all services, all program files, drivers, registry etc.... anything that is related to remote access. So long as I don't remove anything that is needed for my aol dial-up connection and won't crash or mess up windows from running properly.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:43 AM

If disabling it in services.msc doesn't work then I would just use the firewall to block it from being able to access anything.

My firewall cations against restricting access for certain Windows components so I leave the default setting as they were and just do not let it bypass my firewalls lock which is always enabled. Nothing gets by my lock unless I give it the ability to bypass it, and Windows programs are not given that ability.

Edited by Stang777, 14 June 2009 - 02:44 AM.

#3 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:41 AM

Would you mind telling me which security program you use. I had Kaspersky but got rid of it since 4 out of 5 infections were never detected. So I'm looking for a new security suite or programs anyways.

Why aren't there any guides to understanding windows programs and services like remote access better out there?
I don't mean something that explains what it does, there is plenty of information on all that, but rather how to modify tweak or remove things like remote access without screwing up the OS etc...

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:16 AM

I am surprised disabling it in services.msc didn't work, sorry about that.

I use ZoneAlarm Antivirus and that comes with the firewall that includes an operating system firewall.

#5 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:55 AM

I remember using ZoneAlarm's firewall back when I first got this computer but back then it didn't have an application filter, maybe because it was the free version too?
Does the application filter in the free version work or is it only for the paid version?

As far as remote access auto dialer service every time I stop it and disable it it "seems" to stay that way until I restart my computer. Then it is set to stopped still but also always set back to automatic. And whenever I connect to the internet the remote access auto dialer starts running. Odd in my opinion.

#6 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:11 AM

Have you tried this? : Select "start"> "control panel"> "system">"remote"> and in the System Properties under "remote" tab insure that the green tick mark is deleted from both "remote assistance" AND "remote desktop".

Then click "okay" and close out of your "Control Panel" and then restart your computer in order to "Save Your Settings"

Then go back in the same way and insure that the green tick marks are gone from both "remote assistance" and "remote desktop"

Good Luck,

ranger72 :thumbsup:
So Much To Learn; So Little Time To Learn It In!

#7 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:40 AM

Yeah that's one of the first of many tweaks I did after reformating my computer.

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:14 AM

I think you should be able to do that in the free version. Only the paid version has the operating system firewall, but the more I think about it, that shouldn't matter as that doesn't have anything to do with what is allowed access to the internet

Edited by Stang777, 25 June 2009 - 03:15 AM.

#9 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:49 AM

I still can't figure out why "remote access auto connection manager" keeps launching and it's auto dialer, every time I connect to the internet.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:17 AM

FWIW: http://smallvoid.com/article/winnt-services-rasauto.html

Louis

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:30 AM

The Windows operating system contains remote access service files that are required for the AOL software to connect you to the Internet.

http://help.aol.com/help/microsites/micros...ternalId=217317

about half way down the page, looks like the aol dialup software is hooking the service
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#12 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:53 AM

Yeah I noticed that WLHook.dll is loaded with aol maybe that's the cause.
Also that ATWPKT2.sys always wants to auto dial, I don't see why I would need either of these to run or even exist.
AOL should work just fine without them but I can't seem to get rid of either.

#13 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2009 - 02:14 AM

In Internet Options, connections tab, do you have "Never dial a connection" selected?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users