Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

best ram to use with asus striker xtreme 2 790i and q9650

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 general grievous

general grievous

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:28 AM

hi, i am building a gaming system from scratch, and as i want it to last atleast 3 years i'd like to buy the best of the best for a 5000usd budget, please consider that i live far away (costa rica) and we gotta add the taxes and shipping...

Now to the point: i am planning to buy the Q9650 because i can overclock it instead of buying a Q9770 which will easily double its price...and i dont care q9650 has locked multiplier :thumbsup:

also got my eye on the asus striker II 790i (please clarify because it says it has 2 pci e2.0 and 1 pci e, so that means it can take 3 way sli??)

for sli i wanna buy two nvidia 295's(dunno which exactly is the best one if gt,gtx,etc etc please guide me as well) unless nvidia has put anything better in the market. i used to be as freak but if you wanna call it that way i've been sleeping under a rock so i dunno nothing about the newest stuff.

I am not so sure about which ram to buy, i know the mobo can take ddr3 as it specified but also ddr2, the thing is if i put mah bucks at ddr3 will the q9650 get any advantage from it over the ddr2? also if i bought ddr3 it hasnt to be any higher than 1333mhz as its the procesor's fsb and any higher would be a waste, i also need guidance on ram latencies as i've read a bunch of guys having crashes due to ram incompatibility. I want only the biggest fellow freaks in this site to guide me as im at less than 1 week of signing the paper for that purchase and that thing has to last long enough to still do decent with the newest games in 3 years, and it'd kick ass if it runned in the first run without having to return anything and waiting weeks for the replacements to be shipped. keep in mind i live far, far away.

still deciding on hdd's
i dont care much of burners, any trustworthy brand 20x dual layer dvd burner will be ok
monitor will be lcd 22''
will use a normal looking case but with emphasis in a good air circulation.
will use stock fans as i dont plan on oc'ing. not yet
please tell me of any 100- usd sound card
will a 1000w psu feed that thing??

TRUSTING ON YOU GUYS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:06 AM

I think you need to reconsider the basis of your build. LGA775 is essentially an "end of life" product.

For the money you want to spend, an LGA1366/i920/X58 would work well with those SLI 295s. Even better, wait till September when the new LGA1166 Lynnfield hits the streets.

As to the original question: http://support.asus.com/download/download....iker%20II%20NSE This is the vender list with the qualified memory.

Edited by dpunisher, 14 June 2009 - 08:07 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 general grievous

general grievous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:04 PM

I think you need to reconsider the basis of your build. LGA775 is essentially an "end of life" product.

For the money you want to spend, an LGA1366/i920/X58 would work well with those SLI 295s. Even better, wait till September when the new LGA1166 Lynnfield hits the streets.

As to the original question: http://support.asus.com/download/download....iker%20II%20NSE This is the vender list with the qualified memory.

oh are you talking about the one that will support i7s?
i've been reading about those babies before making up my mind to buy the quad and older q9650, and i ended up likeing more the quads over the i7s as i plan to play badass games on my rig, and the i7 gives easily 40pct advantage at rendering(and i am talking about the 975 which is top of the line for i7s, and other office stuff, but when it comes to games it barely gives a 10pct over the older quads at an astronomically higher price)... when i comes to gaming i belive anything over 100fps, with everything maxed out(hopefully even in the most badass games) is enough for me, i hope the 2way 295s sli does the job when it comes to running games smoothly without feeling i've wasted my money, i know the newest is always a must have for many, but in my case its not the newest, but something that nearly does the same than the newest and much expensiver stuff at a fraction the price :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users