Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe error 0xc0000022 on login

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Syzion

Syzion

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:09 PM

Hi, this is my first time here, but i have a BIG problem.

As the topic states, i have the error about explorer.exe failing to initialize, but this error doesnt occur on my user, only my parents. i DO recall attempting to replace uxtheme.dll to disable the patch but that failed, and i did change indexing locations for the windows search add-in, but i found the error occuring after accidentally closing explorer.exe and then re-executing it. The taskbar was in classic form for some reason and then i tried loging into my parents user, that was when the error occured. i tried booting in safe mode, admin user had the error too. i tried sfc /scannow and that didnt work. i tried system restore but it failed AND just now, for some reason, my parent's user is HIDDEN, not deleted because when i try to make a new one for them with same username, it says the account already exists though it is hidden.

Any help with the explorer.exe initialization problem?

P.S. sorry if this is a bit confusing, i want to fix the explorer.exe problem first, before fixing the user accounts problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:24 AM

Related post, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/161754/explorerexe-inproper-initiation-error-0xc0000022/

I suggest trying the fix Carolyn suggested on 20 Aug 08...seems to have worked in that instance.

Louis

#3 Syzion

Syzion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:19 AM

thanks for the reply, unfortunately i tried downloading the link that carylon gave for ccleaner but after download complete, the file was corrupted, the new version is 3mb and currently, our internet is very slow, so is there any other possible solution?

P.S. the hidden account prob is fixed :D

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:28 AM

I believe this is a permissions problem with the DLLs in system32.

Some updates/installations tamper with the permissions "accidentally" and remove read permissions for certain people.

This could explain why it is user specific. You have it, others did, but don't any more.

Assuming you have run malware scans (MBAM, SAS, etc.) to rule out that possibility...

If you can't identify the file from the error and add the Read permissions to the file in Explorer, you can change ALL the DLLs in System32 to give read access to all users as follows:

Login as Administrator or equivalent

Open Command Prompt. (Start -> Run... -> CMD)

In a command prompt enter:
CACLS %systemroot%\System32\*.dll /E /G Users:R

If that doesn't work, try the .OCX files (unlikely)

In a command prompt enter:
CACLS %systemroot%\System32\*.ocx /E /G Users:R

Reboot (possibly)

CACLS: /G = grant (cacls /? for all options) and you can replace Users with a login name if you want.

You will have to decide if a sweeping permissions change is appropriate. There are 1K+ DLLs in system32!

Since it is only Read, I don't see a problem with it, but it would be nicer to find just the afflicted file(s) - Event Viewer might give you a clue as to the specific file which would be less drastic.

Maybe someone will give me grief for the shotgun approach suggestion. I think that is the problem and there may be a better way to isolate it.

Edited by joseibarra, 15 June 2009 - 07:30 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,154 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:31 AM

I saw another post somewhere (can't find it now of course :thumbsup: ) that pointed to specific files that might need their permissions adjusted:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvbvm60.dll <--try this one first

C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcp60.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rmoc3260.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sprio600.dll

To these files, add "read" permission for all users either in explorer or you can use the CACLS command line thing.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 Syzion

Syzion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:45 AM

Thanks for the advice, but just one thing, after the command thing for the dlls, do i have to reboot or can i test it straight away? also, although its user specific, there are 2 admin accounts and only one works (Me) here is what it is like:

ME

my parent's user

USER(the other admin)

btw i tried those 2 commands and they failed D: any other advice?

EDIT: i have also noticed something else that happened with the error that i forgot to mention; even though im using the windows XP theme, the taskbar, common tasks and some dialogs/buttons are in the classic form and the window frames in the xp form. just mentioning this if it relates to the error.

Edited by Syzion, 16 June 2009 - 03:54 AM.

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,154 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:22 AM

I don't know if you have to reboot or not (I don't have this problem) and the suggested solutions did not say. When in doubt, reboot to remove the question of if you have to reboot or not - just do it and there will be no question.

...and, I also read that this issue is likely to be seen on machines with multiple user accounts and after certain updates and some accounts will work and some will be afflicted (sounds like you).

Let's change our command to be sure there is no question about running it:

Login as Administrator or equivalent

Open a Command Prompt. (Start -> Run... -> CMD)

Assuming your boot drive is C:

Enter: cd c:\windows\system32

and you should be in the c:\windows\system32 folder, yes? Then enter:

CACLS msvcp60.dll /E /G Users:R <- try this first

CACLS rmoc3260.dll /E /G Users:R
CACLS sprio600.dll /E /G Users:R

In my example I am specifying "Users" which is a general term that should get everybody, but you can also put a specific user name there instead, like:

CACLS msvcp60.dll /E /G Jose:R

So if Users doesn't work (it should), try individual specific login names.

You should see a message like:

processed file: c:\windows\system32\msvcp60.dll

You said the commands failed - what does that mean? Is there no error message (how do you know it failed)? THe only way I can think of it would fail is if you are not in the c:\windows\system32 folder or you typed it in wrong.

I would rather just try the individual DLLs instead of the shotgun approach for all the DLLs so we can try to isolate it down to as few files as possible.

#8 Syzion

Syzion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:23 AM

By failed, i meant that the error message still appeared, but after doing this, i discovered something.

When i tried to set permissions to rmoc3260.dll it said the file could not be found, is this possibly the cause of this error? if it is, can you supply the file?

#9 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,154 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:49 AM

That is a RealNetworks DLL which you may not have.

There should be no problem with giving All Users read permission to all the DLL and OCX files in system32.

As illustrated earlier, you can try to CACLS *.dll in the sytem32 folder, reboot and try again.

You can also try to CACLS *.ocx in the system32 folder, reboot and try again.

Neither CACLS command should complain about anything missing. Refer to the earlier post for the syntax.

I am convinced this is a security issue and since it is user specific that convinces me more that it is a user thing and not a system thing.

Refer to the post by hamluis where carolyn was helping. This person had your problem, but a lot of others (that carolyn has a lot of patience!).

Look at post number 14 in that thread.

They got past a lot of the other problems and finally used secedit in a batch file to modify the security settings, and then he was all set...

See how that works for you.

#10 Syzion

Syzion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:55 AM

i tried practically EVERY solution on that thread and the 'cacls' thing, but to no avail, the error is still here. actually, i think i have another problem.

With the cacls thing, i even replaced the 'users' with an individual account and that failed. so is there any OTHER solution or do i have to use the windows xp cd?

I have also noticed a few things after reboot. First, for some reason, theres a .dll on my desktop called "secsetup", do i need this?
Second, every time i try this solution:
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose
it removes my parent's user from the "users" group, making her account hidden from the welcome screen

Is there any OTHER solutions? 'cuz the cacls thing and the solutions on carolyn's thread don't work

btw this CPU had problems b4 and when it got fixed, it has 2 windows directories, /windows and /windows.0, where /windows.0 is the directory for %systemroot% is it possible that i have to edit the OTHER windows directory?

P.S. if there are NO other solutions, is it possible to fix this using the windows xp cd WITHOUT losing files? apart from sfc /scannow?

Edited by Syzion, 18 June 2009 - 02:05 AM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:14 AM

<<btw this CPU had problems b4 and when it got fixed, it has 2 windows directories, /windows and /windows.0, where /windows.0 is the directory for %systemroot% is it possible that i have to edit the OTHER windows directory?>>

That sort of info...should have been in the original post...if not the basis of the original post.

Louis

#12 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,154 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:52 PM

Great! (why is there no yelling emoticon).

Sounds like your last major repair resulted in Windows being reinstalled and that maybe fixed the immediate issue (whatever it was) but left things in some unusual but apparently somewhat functional installation. Did someone do this for you or to you?

If %SystemRoot% is pointing to Windows.0 - THAT is your working windows folder. All my suggestions were doing things from and to the contents of the Windows folder.

I suppose you could go back to the beginning and replace all the references to c:\windows with c:\windows.0 and see what happens, but you would still be left with a double installation "mess".

Here is a MS article about how to remove a second installation of Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888023

I don't know if you want to consider that or not, but perhaps someone else has some other ideas.

I think I will drop into lurk mode for a bit and see what the real experts have to say.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 02:52 PM

FWIW: There is no telling what is wrong with the system...but the fact that you have duplicate installs of XP on the same partition...and two Windows folders is not a good thing.

Does your system give you two installs of XP to boot into...when the system is first turned on?

In all honesty...the best thing to do may be a clean install.

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have a Microsoft XP install CD?

Louis

#14 Syzion

Syzion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 01:49 AM

Sounds like your last major repair resulted in Windows being reinstalled and that maybe fixed the immediate issue (whatever it was) but left things in some unusual but apparently somewhat functional installation. Did someone do this for you or to you?

Yes, someone did this for me, so i dont know what they actually did, but i have noticed they've already deleted the boot details of the OTHER WINDOWS folder so i think its safe to delete that.

Does your system give you two installs of XP to boot into...when the system is first turned on?

No, it goes straight to welcome screen.

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have a Microsoft XP install CD?

If by manufacturer and model, you mean the computer details, then they are as follows:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 processor 3500+
2.21 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension
As for the windows xp cd, yes i do have it, but its SP2, and this comp is SP3.

So if fixing the "Double installation" doesnt work, does this mean i have to do a clean install? (Hopefully not!)

#15 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,154 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:03 AM

Do you recall if these problem occurred after your reinstallation or was the reinstallation an attempt to fix these problems?

All the CACLS we tried were performing their operations (changing permissions) in \windows\system32 and you are running out of \windows.0\system32. We were changing the wrong files assuming c:\windows.

There would be no harm in trying the CACLS stuff again from the \windows.0 directory.

If that works for your problem, it may be possible to "fix" your environment so it is more conventional. I am not sure and it sounds like some of the pieces in the puzzle are missing.

You should think about what you want to do if the problem persists:

Try to pursue it even in your afflicted installation and then live with your installation (and perhaps other problems later). Some members may not be too thrilled about trying to get a botched installation working.

Try to fix your afflicted installation and then pursue the problem further. I have never fixed an intallation problem like this before.

Salvage all of your personal data that you can and then start with a clean installation.

The third option would be the most likely to succeed - the others are mights and maybes.

Can you burn a CD? You might also think about making a new XP installation CD with SP3 slipstreamed in. Keep your original as a backup. There is a tutorial forum that has a good lesson, and it worked first time (even for me).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users