Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free 3D modeling software

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 02 July 2005 - 11:07 AM

A member on another forum posted this.
Looks like an interesting program.
I'm going to check it out when I have the time.
I thought some of our graphics experts might want to play with it, also.

The program is called Blender.

Blender, the open source software for 3D modeling, animation, rendering, post-production, interactive creation and playback. Available for Windows, Linux, Irix, Sun Solaris, FreeBSD or Mac OS X under the GNU Public License.

Under About Blender, be sure to check out the Gallery.
The best things about it is, it's Free.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 02 July 2005 - 11:25 AM

hello, not sure if it's my post you are referring to but....Blender is a great program ....the only problem is there is a very large learning curve to understanding and controlling the user interface. If you download it and want to use it, I found the best way to learn it is to take advantage of the video tutorials. If you prefer to use text tutorials make sure..... MAKE SURE you don't skip ANY sections. Everything you need is (well to start out) written into the program but you just need to know what it is and what it is called. Four other points that need to realized are:
1.) You should get python if you're running Windows. (Linux should have it as a module)
2.) Blender seems to run better under Linux.
3.) Blender is the epitome of keyboard shortcuts you cannot work efficiently without them. One hand on the keyboard one hand on the mouse as they say.
4.) Open Source software is great, please support it.
If you need any other advice on the program let me know, I am far from a master (far from what i'd consider a novice) but I have plenty of other off-site blender links. Cheers and happy Blending.

Edited by lucent, 02 July 2005 - 11:35 AM.

Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:52 PM

lucent,

I got the link from another board.
I didn't notice it in your post, but I did a search and found it.
I would appreciate any links you have for tutorials.

Yeah, you're right, it looks like it's going to be a verrrrry large learning curve. :thumbsup:

If you need any other advice on the program let me know, ...

I'm sure I'll be taking you up, on that. :flowers:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#4 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:29 PM

Hello, tg1911 here are some of the links that you may find useful:

http://www.lostpencil.com/ <--oops this one is for Maya, but is still worth a look for inspiration.
http://membres.lycos.fr/bobois/index_anglais.html <-- check out rotoscoping and spin for instant (well, nearly) results.
http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4624 <-- Heaps of tutorials here, they are all good links.
http://vrotvrot.com/xoom/tutorials/mineRide/mineride.html <-- I think this came from the above link.

It's been a while since I visited these but I'll go back and have a look to see which ones are the most valuable. Sorry about the delay, been ill lately. As you probably will anyway, but just in case, make sure you browse the whole site. Don't get frustrated it is worth the effort and remember to change your views with the numerical keypad BEFORE you start your work to avoid headaches. Cheers mate :thumbsup:

Edited by lucent, 03 July 2005 - 10:40 PM.

Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:50 PM

Thanks lucent.

Appreciate the links.
I will check out, and bookmark, them.

I've found a few I've been checking out.
Been reading this one, in my free time, today:
Blender 3D: Noob to Pro
Pretty easy to follow, so far.
I'm about 1/2 way through it.
I can see that I'm going to have to print it out, and put it in a notebook.
I imagine I'll be referencing it a lot.

Looks like this is going to be a fun program to play with.
A lot to learn, though.

Hope you get to feeling better.

#6 Jeffro

Jeffro

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2005 - 02:59 PM

I might try this sometime, but I already have SolidWorks (Which, by all means, isn't free, and I like free stuff, so that is a plus).

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:38 PM

I will give it a try, thanks!
It looks like a neat tool to play with...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users