Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with Hard Drive compatibility please

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JennM

JennM

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:02 PM

I have a Compaq Presario 6000 series desktop with:

1.67 gigahertz AMD Athlon processor XP
224mb Memory in one slot (the other is currently empty)
Samsung SV0602H 60.06gb
S3 Graphics Pro Savage DDR
HP MX70 monitor

Running:
XP Pro SP3

My question is this... how do I know if a Hard Drive is compatible with this PC? We were given a Samsung SP2504C (250gb) because the one on this PC is shot I think. (It makes rattling noises and freezes up) Is this Hard Drive able to be put in this PC? Or if nobody knows can they direct me to a site where I can find that out. I am somewhat computer savvy, but I don't understand all the computer lingo. So a site that is not for techies would be great.

I'm pretty sure I am able to yank the other out and put this one right in. Doesn't seem like a genius is needed for that so I think I'll be fine there. Just not sure if this one will go in this PC.

Thanks in advance!
Jenn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:35 PM

Your original hard drive is an IDE ATA 100 Samsung 60Gig hard drive. The intended replacement is a Samsung SATA II 250Gig hard drive.

Looking at the 'base specifications" for your Presario 6000 shows an Intel ICH2 hard drive controller that only "runs" IDE hard drives.

To be able to install your replacement you would need an "add-on" SATA controller plugged into your PCI slot to be able to use your 250Gig drive.

An add-on SATA controller can be sourced from such places as Tigerdirect, Global Computer, Newegg, etc, etc....

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users