Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Download question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 luclancy

luclancy

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:52 PM

Please help me!!!
I use a Vodafone wireless modem which has a 5GB limit for €29.99. Which normally is more than enough, as I don't download anything much!!!
Problem: The last bill stated that I had downloaded over 10GB and I have just received a message to say I have exceeded the 10GB limit. I rang vodafone and they told me it's actually over 13GB right now and the only way that can happen is from downloading or streaming.
After last months bill... NOTHING has been downloaded!! I have even stopped autodownloads from Microsoft, Virus Scanner ( I know, I know but it was a HUGE bill), and every other application I have on my PC!!!

Is it possible I have a hacker????? NOTHING has been downloaded from my PC! And no, no body else uses it!!!!

Please someone tell me what to do.. I will have to get rid of my internet :-(

Thanks

Lu.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:01 PM

Do you have any sort of security or password on your wireless connection? Thats where I would start looking for bandwidth theft. Your provider should be able to help you secure your wireless modem.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 luclancy

luclancy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:05 PM

Thanks Animal!!

No, I don't think I have security on the connection at all... in the tools menu, there is an option to activate pin security..which I just did. Would that do it???

Plus...do you reckon this was a hacker?????

thanks again,

Lu.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:01 PM

My guess is somebody found 'free' bandwidth and leeched your account. Unlikely it was a hacker. But to be safe run your usual set of malware scans if you have doubts.

And yes any sort of 'verification' method to use the wireless modem will help. You might want to inquire with your provider if there is a more secure or 'encrypted' method of security available to you on that modem, if you really want to lock it down and make it more secure.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users