Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista turns on then off at boot up screen

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Tobin

Tobin

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:28 PM

Help!!!! I get to the Gateway boot screen then my laptop shuts off. I cannot get to the safe mode screen after repeatedly pressing F8.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:40 PM

Can you get into BIOS setup? Hit the F1, F2, or Del key (haven't used a Gateway in awhile so I'm not sure which key they use anymore to get into BIOS) as soon as you see the Gateway splash screen.

It should tell you which key to press to get into setup on that splash screen.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#3 Tobin

Tobin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:55 PM

I cannot get into the BIOS Settings using the F2 key.

#4 MishY

MishY

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:59 PM

Are you using battery power or are you plugged in to the wall outlet.

#5 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:00 PM

If you feel comfortable doing it, pull the battery and reseat the memory and hard drive. If that doesn't help, then pull the memory completely and then turn it on. If the memory is the cause of the problem, then the laptop will boot to a point and give you some kind of memory not found error.
If that doesn't do it, then try to boot it up without the hard drive installed. Again, it will boot up and give some kind of no operating system found error or something similar.

But in either case, it shouldn't just reboot if one of these 2 things is the cause.

Edited by possumbarnes, 13 June 2009 - 02:01 PM.

What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#6 Tobin

Tobin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:39 PM

I am connected to the wall outlet. I pulled the battery, reseated the memory and the hard drive. The same problem occurs (shut down at the splah screen). I will try to boot up without memory then without hard drive next.

#7 Tobin

Tobin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:17 PM

1.) I removed the memory competely and rebooted. The screen was just black.
2.) I reinstalled the memory and removed the hard drive completely. The endless reboot at the splash screen happened again. Now the computer is freezing at the splash screen

Edited by Tobin, 13 June 2009 - 05:26 PM.

#8 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:42 PM

1.) I removed the memory competely and rebooted. The screen was just black.

You should've seen something on the boot with the memory gone. I would think it should at least show you the splash screen. Try it again except this time as soon as you turn it on, start tapping the TAB key. By tapping TAB, it turns off the splash screen and shows what is happening behind it (ie. the memory test and boot process).
At least, every Gateway I've ever had to mess with it was the TAB key.

#9 Tobin

Tobin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:58 PM

I tryed tapping the TAB key with the memory gone and got the black screen again.

#10 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:57 PM

Try it with everything in and see if you can see what's happening behind the splash screen. Maybe it'll give us a clue.

#11 Tobin

Tobin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:15 PM

No luck. It just keeps rebooting from the splash screen.

#12 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:38 PM

I would say you definitely have a hardware issue there. It's not going far enough into the boot process for it to be a software issue. Its not going to be easy to find either with this being a laptop. There's really on 4 easy things for you to check: hard drive, memory, battery, and DVD drive.
For the battery, the only way to check it would be if your laptop is designed so that it can be turned on while plugged into the wall without the battery actually in it. If it can, then try it. If it reboots without the battery actually even installed while plugged into the wall, then your battery is not the likely cause.
For the DVD drive, remove it from the laptop and see if it'll boot then. DVD drives are normally secured in a laptop by one or more screws that can be found on the bottom of the case directly under the drive itself. Remove that screw and the drive should be able to be slid right out the side.
For the memory, find a friend with a laptop using the same type of memory. Put your memory in the other laptop and take the borrowed memory and put it in your laptop. See if the problem follows the memory. If you're running vista, you most likely have DDR2 ram, but all you need to do is get a friend's memory and check the labels on the memory. If one doesn't have a label, you can compare the pin layout on the dimms. DDR and DDR2 have very similar layouts with the notch being only one or two pins off between the two types.
For the hard drive, ........... other than taking the drive and hooking it up to another computer (either another laptop internally which I wouldn't recommend, or by finding an external enclosure for it and hooking it up externally to another computer) then using a drive testing program to test it. Other than that, there isn't much you can do that's easily done to verify the hard drive is good.

And, finally, if none of this works, I'd recommend paying for repairs or buying a new laptop and turning this one into a paper weight. It could be something as simple as a bad fan or as complex as a faulty motherboard or cpu. Either way, it means popping the case open which is not easy to do if you're not experienced at it.

#13 Tobin

Tobin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:56 PM

Thanks for your help! This all happened when I plugged my printer into the laptop. I have removed the battery and performed all of the previous recommendations without the battery being installed and I still have the rebooting problem. I cannot even boot up with the vista DVD. I will try removing the DVD drive now.

#14 MishY

MishY

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:58 PM

Being a Gateway you probably didn't get a Vista CD but do have a restore cd.
I would pop that in the cd drive and see if you can repair Vista. I know you can't get into the BIOS to change the boot order but it's still worth a try.

EDIT: You posted my suggestion while I was replying. Bummer it didn't work.

Edited by MishY, 13 June 2009 - 09:02 PM.

#15 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:09 PM

I'm kind of afraid to ask the very obvious question, but the printer isn't still plugged into the laptop is it?

And, assuming the printer plugs in USB, is there anything else plugged into any USB ports, like a mouse or wireless card? If so, remove them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users