Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet explorer reinstall problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 davec1000

davec1000

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 02 July 2005 - 09:58 AM

IE 6 on my wife's computer crashes upon opening. I've tried to reinstall it several times and I've gone to the Microsoft Knowledge base for help. There is a switch in the registry which is supposed to tell the OS that IE is not installed, but this does not work. She needs IE occsionally but otherwise uses T'bird. I've recommended a complete reformat and reinstall, but she won't go for it. I can't just reinstall XP b/c her computer (E-machine) only has recovery disks, which wipes out everything. I don't have a separate XP Home disk to use (I use Pro). I did download an IE6 installation from Microsoft but I continually run into the "already installed" problem. So I'm running around in circles here. Anybody have an exit for me? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 02 July 2005 - 09:38 PM

I can only point you to the BC Tutorial on fixing IE:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...ress-tut71.html

If you have already been through that I'm not sure what to suggest.
Get back to us. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2005 - 10:21 PM

1. Click on the Start button and then click on the Run option.
2. In the Open field type regedit and press the OK button.
3. Navigate to the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
4. Under that key you will see a entry named IsInstalled. Right click on that entry and left click on Modify.
5. Change the Value from 1 to 0.
6. Exit regedit.

Then you can reinstall IE

Edited by Techsomething, 02 July 2005 - 10:31 PM.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2005 - 10:25 PM

BEFORE MAKING ANY REGISTRY CHANGES BE SURE TO MAKE A BACK UP!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 bluto

bluto

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2005 - 10:36 PM

Please add this though as crashes is a very limited description of this.
Describe more or post a sshot of this event.

#6 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:26 AM

Hi davec1000,

That computer is most likely infected with malware and the best way to find out how to fix it is to post a HijackThis log. Reinstalling/repairing IE seldom if ever works and is pretty problematic as yo've already seen. Most malware is designed to affect IE, and lately has caused problems like you describe. You'll be beating your head against a wall if you don't get the malware removed first.

What I suggest you do is install an alternative browser on you wife's PC so you can deal with this more conveniently. Firefox is pretty easy and small, download it to your Pc, then transfer it over to hers and install it.
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Then click on the link below and follow the steps in that tutorial so you can get a log posted:
How to post a HijackThis Log

You can of course skip step 1. But be sure to follow all the other steps and use the links in the tutorial to:

1. Download the self-extracting HijackThis.
2. Open the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum to start a new Topic in that forum. It is important that you post your log into a new topic in that forum. If you have any problems here is a link again:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...?act=SF&s=&f=22

It may be a day or two before you get an answer. But it is also important that you not post again to the topic you started asking for help or wondering if you will get help or otherwise "bumping" your thread/topic. In order to work on a first come-first served basis, helpers look for the oldest topics with zero replies.

BUT, once you receive a reply, stay in the topic that you have started. Do not start another thread.

Any problems with that, let us know. A log contains a lot of information and will save us from having to ask a lot of questions and will be the basis for other recommendations.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#7 davec1000

davec1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:30 PM

As soon as I get back to my wife's computer I'll run HJT and let the pros peruse the log. Thanks for all the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users