Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp sp2 blue screens

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ooweirdoo

ooweirdoo

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:38 AM

i have recently been getting many random blue screens out of no where.
the technical informations are many irql not less or equal
i get

0x0000007E
0x0000008E
0x000000FC
0x00000024
0x0000000a

does any one have any suggestions about how to solve this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 eastonch

eastonch

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:43 AM

Hiya, can you do this for us.

next time you get a BSOD, boot back up immediatly and go into Control panel -> Adim tools -> event viewer -> system, please then look for any red X's for 'errors' open them up and you should find a BSOD message in the lil viewer. copy n paste it...

if it writes a mini-dump, please locate it and post that on here aswell....

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:21 PM

Following info from www.aumha.org (site considered base authority on STOP errors by me):

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. Suggest running Chkdsk /r as a first step.

0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software.

0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer for additional information.

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didnít catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue).

0x000000FC: ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY
Your computer repeatedly restarts after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2 {KB 878474} Win XP SP2 (new driver needed; work-around available).

KB 878474, http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=878474&sd=RMVP

Based on the variety of errors...I would first try a new CMOS battery. May not solve, but won't hurt, doesn't cost much.

IMO, the NTFS error is the worst and could lead to all of the others.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 June 2009 - 12:22 PM.

#4 ooweirdoo

ooweirdoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:30 PM

if i manage to reinstall windows will everything be fixed?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:48 PM

Not necessarily, reinstalling is no panacea for computer ills...merely the last step before replacing hardware (IMO).

And...a lot would depend on whether you have restore/recovery CDs...or a genuine Microsoft Windows CD.

A reinstall would only deal with...problems created by the O/S itself or that are manifest only in the O/S.

And it would depend if you mean a clean install or a repair install.

A repair install is merely a shot in the dark, the last thing to try before doing a clean install. It does solve many troublesome situations...but it would not change any situations due to malware, hardware/driver problems, CMOS battery.

A clean install, where everything previously existing is obliterated, would eliminate many malware problems, if not all, but would not do much for hardware, etc. The big advantage of a clean install is that it eliminates so many suspects and it's much easier to troubleshoot issues...from the beginning, rather than much later.

Louis

#6 ooweirdoo

ooweirdoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:51 PM

the problem for me is hst my cd drives cannot read cds anymore so i cannot boot windows cd.
i also tried to do a usb of four gigs and it didn't work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users