Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help selecting right memory

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bojar

bojar

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:24 AM

Need some help deciding what kind of memory to buy. Have a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H board (love it!) with Phenom 9850, and so far only 2GB of DDR2 800 memory. Would I benefit (see any difference) upgrading to DDR2 1200 modules? (I am upgrading to 4GB anyway). Thanks ahead for the response.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:54 PM

Well..I think I'd consider the recommended list for that board, http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/Memory...ma78gm-us2h.pdf

Nothing like having memory the board doesn't like :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 bojar

bojar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:46 PM

thanks hamluis,
of course that is the first place I checked, but that list doesn't show ddr2 1200 4gb dual channel configuration, yet my board manual says that it's supported. Maybe I'm confused ???

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:34 PM

Well...I wouldn't expect that list to reflect anything more than a base configuration.

If the manual states that it's supported...if the website states that it's supported...it's supported :thumbsup:.

From the GB website: "* DDR2 1200+ is supported with combination of AM2+ processors and qualified memory modules, please refer "Memory Support List" for detail memory support information."

and "(Note 2) Whether 1200 MHz memory speed is supported depends on the CPU being used."

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mother...=GA-MA78GM-US2H

To me, that last note says that I need an AMD CPU with that FSB speed.

I could be wrong, but...
Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 June 2009 - 03:52 PM.

#5 bojar

bojar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:30 PM

Thanks again Louis,
for sure the info on the GB website isn't very clear, and to a nitwit like me downright confusing. Anyway at today's memory prices, surely I can gamble on at least 2GB and if that works, I can add 2 more later.... Thanks again, Bojar

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:46 PM

Better reserve that thanks until it's proven that...my interpretations were correct :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users