Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Performance

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mainstretllc

mainstretllc

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:13 AM

I have a Dell Latitude D610 running XP and recently noticed a change in performance. The Performance Tab in the Windows Task Manager indicates Total Physical Memory = 515444, Available approx 100k, System Cache approx 131k.

These numbers had been hovering around 240k. I understand some of the memory is used by Windows, but the recent considerable difference has significantly affected performance.

When I restart the machine, these numbers initially are set in 9k range and slowly increase to the 100k area.

Is there a way for me to see what's really going on? The Processes Tab sheds some light, but the totals do not add up. Something must be eating up the memory.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:20 AM

DTaskManager shows all the processes running on the system. You can get it from here. This should help find out where the memory is going.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 mainstretllc

mainstretllc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for the DTaskManager MadDawg. I downloaded it and see how it provides more information than Window's Task Manager, but I still do not understand why I have a large discrepancy:

Total=515K
Avail=100K
Cache=130K

Adding up to 230K, it seems I should have something closer to 400-450, correct?. Is there something else I'm missing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users