Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reinstlling wireless router after formating comp

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 creighs

creighs

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:29 AM

Hello hello!

Once I'm finally prepared/have worked up the courage, I'm going to format my 2 computers (desk and ntbk). I have ALL of my installation cds for everything else, but for the life of me I cannot find the one for my linksys wireless broadband router. Is this going to be a big problem (I.e. Will I have to spend money)??? Would someone be able to help me by explaining how to get my router up and running again? I should be okay (for the most part) with reconfiguring the security stuff on the internet after that.

I sincerely apologize if this happened to be a pinned topic; I'm accessing BC via my craptacular phone, and it's not as easy to browse (for me anyway) and to type this. I greatly appreciate any guidance you might bestow on a lowly peon such as I. :thumbsup:

Take care,
S.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:55 PM

Hi, if you are going to format your PCs there is no need to do anything to your router as long as you do not reset it, all the configurations will be in place. Only do one PC at a time. Once you have formatted and installed the drivers make sure it can go on the net. Then once successfull continue to the next PC.
MCP
MSDST

#3 creighs

creighs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:32 AM

Hi Monty007,

Thank you for your response! I think I may have reset the router when I was trying to troubleshoot previously. Do I even need the startup CD anyway? Might I be able to just connect the router to my broadband and into my computer and then go to the admin "webpage" and configure the settings as if I were doing it for the first time? Or is the driver only provided on the installation cd? I have the install cd for a wireless pci card I needed to add to my desktop; it might be silly to say that, but I figured it's at least worth a try.

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:
S.

#4 creighs

creighs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 02:05 PM

Update: Found the installation CD. However, I'm still curious about the answer to the questions in my last post, regarding (a) whether the driver is only provided on the installation CD, and (:thumbsup: if the router had already been reset what steps would I have to take in that case?

Thanks to anyone who knows the answer/can point me toward it!

Cheers,
S.

#5 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:50 AM

A router doesn't have drivers so much as firmware. You can update the firmware from the manufacturer's website (recommended for updated) if you're unable to access the router itself (type the gateway IP into the web address). In my experience, installation CDs have been nothing more than documentation and a version of firmware that's 90% likely to be out-dated.

To configure a router that's been reset (reset button on the back?) would be to type the gateway IP into the address bar, default username and password will be next to the reset button (usually admin/password), then configure the settings as you need or want.

Hope this helps your endeavor.

#6 creighs

creighs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:02 AM

Hi Ingle!

Thank you very much for your reply. That was what I figured, but was unsure so I just wanted to confirm it. Thank you! :thumbsup:

Have a nice day and take care!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users