Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using both Spywareblaster and Spybot together?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Dirkk

Dirkk

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:09 AM

Can / should I use Spywareblaster and Spybot together, at the same time?

Nice greetings, Dirk

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:49 PM

I would not use Spybot' Teatimer function
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:08 AM

Many thanks for your helpful answer, garmanma,

Why not?

Nice greetings, Dirk

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:23 PM

I do not use the TeaTimer feature in Spybot as I just do not like how it slows the system. It might not slow the system as much as it did years ago when I tried it last, but since I have a firewall that does pretty much the same thing, protects my system files, I have had no reason to try it again.

I have no problem with using both SpywareBlaster and Spybot, since neither of them is giving realtime protection. I believe Spybots immunization feature gives more protection than SpywareBlasters immunization does since it protects against many more threats but since it does it does not block the Active X stuff, I used SpywareBlaster to do that.

#5 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:56 AM

Many thanks, Stang777.

I have no problem with using both SpywareBlaster and Spybot, since neither of them is giving realtime protection.

I would have thought SpyBot does real time protection (with its Tea Timer) and they can both - if I see it right - prevent getting malware on the PC, e.g. SpyBot alarms when entries in the Registry shall be done, so it may be a bit like real time protection.

I believe Spybots immunization feature gives more protection than SpywareBlasters immunization does since it protects against many more threats but since it does it does not block the Active X stuff, I used SpywareBlaster to do that.

So using both seems to give a good protection...

Thanks again, nice greetings, Dirk

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#6 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:51 AM

If you switch to Firefox or another alternate browser the extra protection SpywareBlaster gives is minimal, if at all. Spybot's immunization should still have some use because of the host file entries.

I would have thought SpyBot does real time protection (with its Tea Timer) and they can both - if I see it right - prevent getting malware on the PC, e.g. SpyBot alarms when entries in the Registry shall be done, so it may be a bit like real time protection.

IMHO it's a very weak protection, it relies of the user's knowledge and time to provide the protection. If you want an extra line of protection it would be better to simply use a behavioural blocker such as ThreatFire or Prevx.

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:27 AM

You are welcome and yes, in that way Spybot does offer realtime protection through the Teatimer feature, but the way I use Spybot, there is no real time protection. Spywareblaster does not offer realtime protection therefore there still should not be any problem using it with Spybot, even with Teatimer enabled.

#8 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:35 AM

Thanks Someones.

If you switch to Firefox or another alternate browser the extra protection SpywareBlaster gives is minimal, if at all. Spybot's immunization should still have some use because of the host file entries.

I use Firefox. What does "host file entries" mean, what is the advantage of it?

If you want an extra line of protection it would be better to simply use a behavioural blocker such as ThreatFire or Prevx.

Ah okay, that seems to be something or the same like the so called adware, spyware etc. blocker. SuperAntiSpyWare does this as well, if I see it right, may be that could be a good choice, too, I use it on demand, anyway.

Spywareblaster does not offer realtime protection therefore there still should not be any problem using it with Spybot, even with Teatimer enabled.

Okay, so using Spywareblaster cannot conflict with other programs.

Many thanks for your help, nice greetings, Dirk

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,936 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:10 AM

I have not used Spybot in ages but previous versions use to tell you if SpywareBlaster was installed on the computer and if it was, that SB offered more control over your settings by letting you add and remove sites very easily.

If you use Spybot, SpywareBlaster and ZonedOut together, there is some overlap of protection. Each one offers a different list but they are not completely identical. Thus, if you undo or disable the protection in one product, it may remove some of the protection installed by the other. You should re-immunize or re-enable the protection in the other products as appropriate.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:13 PM

Thank you quietman7.

I have not used Spybot in ages but previous versions use to tell you if SpywareBlaster was installed on the computer and if it was, that SB offered more control over your settings by letting you add and remove sites very easily.

So they are able to "work together", seems to be a big advantage, I do not quite understand of what kind these lists are and why you can add or remove sites from them.

If you use Spybot, SpywareBlaster and ZonedOut together, there is some overlap of protection. Each one offers a different list but they are not completely identical. Thus, if you undo or disable the protection in one product, it may remove some of the protection installed by the other. You should re-immunize or re-enable the protection in the other products as appropriate.

Okay, good to know, I will follow it.

Many thanks again, nice greetings, Dirk

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,936 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:39 PM

I do not quite understand of what kind these lists are and why you can add or remove sites from them.

SpywareBlaster blocks spyware tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and any browsers that use the Internet Explorer engine, including: AOL web browser, Avant Browser, Slim Browser and Maxthon (formerly MyIE2). It also provides protection for Mozilla Firefox, Netscape, Seamonkey, and Flock. SpywareBlaster restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites by adding a list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to the browser's "Restricted Sites Zone" and prevents the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software. Some types of malware are known to mess with Trusted Zones, Ranges and ProtocolDefaults in for the browser.

SpywareBlaster adds sites to the restricted zones by adding the domain as a subkey under the registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains. A dword is then added to that domain named * and given a hex value of 4 to specify that it is part of the Restricted Sites Zone. More specifically, Spywareblaster sets the "killbit" on the CLSID (Class ID) of known spyware. Every program has a CLSID that is unique to the type of program. Once Spywareblaster enables (writes) those killbits they are "locked in" and any identified spyware cannot be opened. Spywareblaster writes these killbits in and then stays off until you need to re-write them again with an update.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:51 PM

Thank you very much for the understandable explanation, quietman7,

So this - using such a list - seems to be very usefull and is the same, I guess, what Someones mentioned with "host file entries", which are done in this list obviously.

But since SpywareBlaster doesn't give such more protection as I have learned from Someones (thanks for it) when using Firefox as I do, I am wondering, whether I should use SpywareBlaster at all (may be together with other blockers). May be one blocker-program (and firewall and anti virus) would be enough.

Many thanks again, nice greetings, Dirk

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#13 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:31 AM

I use Firefox. What does "host file entries" mean, what is the advantage of it?

Spybot has a list of malware sites which Spybot blocks, so you can't access it.

Ah okay, that seems to be something or the same like the so called adware, spyware etc. blocker. SuperAntiSpyWare does this as well, if I see it right, may be that could be a good choice, too, I use it on demand, anyway.

Signature antispywares (Superantispyware) are different to behavioural blockers (ThreatFire/Prevx), which attempts to detects malware by looking at behaviours of programs.

Edited by Someones, 16 June 2009 - 02:35 AM.

#14 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:15 PM

Many thanks, Someones,

For explaining.

I am a bit confused now about which combination of programs I should use now, I think to run - besides Online Armor and AntiVir - ThreatFire free version, Spywareblaster and SpyBot couldn't be bad. And may be additionally Superantispyware, which supports real time protection as well...but, otherwise it seems to be a bit too much, to run all these programs.

Nice greetings, Dirk

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#15 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:07 PM

To hopefully clear up your confusion, you should only run one antivirus program, only one firewall and if you want to run a realtime spyware/malware program, you should only run one. As long as the other programs you use are not using realtime protection, you can use as many on demand scanners as you want.

I use ZoneAlarm antivirus/firewall as my only realtime protection. I use both Spybot and SpywareBlaster to immunize my system and on occassion I use Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware to scan for malware/spyware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users