Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted Big Fix Registry Key Keeps Coming Back

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bignome

bignome

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:38 AM

Hi. I am running Vista Home Premium version 6.0.6001. I have a Gateway computer that came with Big Fix preinstalled. I have uninstalled Big Fix and used the Big Fix removal tool on their website. I cannot remove the registry key:

c:\program files\Bigfix\bigfix.exe /atstartup HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

I am able to delete it but it always immediately clones itself. I have changed my permissions to give myself full control but no matter how many times I delete it, it reappears. I have also tried deleting it in safe mode but it didn't work.

I contacted Big Fix support and they said they no longer provide support for Gateway customers.

I guess it's not really hurting anything but I hate having useless junk in my registry.

Any ideas? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MishY

MishY

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:23 AM

You more than likely have many leftover registry entries from uninstalling BigFix and is why that one key keeps reappearing.
These orphaned keys from a program uninstall are not a problem with Vista and is why registry cleaners shouldn't be used as they could do more harm than good.
My advice would be to leave it alone.

#3 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:46 AM

Have you tried BigFix User Group

#4 oneup

oneup

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:59 PM

if you want to stop it from starting up, just try defender and its software explorer.
If that does not work, try win+r and msconfig, and remove it that way.
Posted Image

#5 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:12 PM

ACER no longer provides support for any Emachine or Gateway product...just FYI

Re: Big Fix...harmless and maybe a good program, but I used CCleaner to get it lay down and stay there. CC's registry scan got the key and Startup tweak nailed the respawn. In VISTA, no less ;)

"eMachines was acquired by Gateway, Inc. in March 2004 for $262 million in cash and shares. Under the deal, Wayne Inouye, CEO of eMachines, became CEO of Gateway, replacing founder Ted Waitt. It remains a stand-alone brand that is sold through retailers, catalog and online merchandisers."

"On September 4, 2007 Gateway announced that it had signed a definitive agreement to sell its professional business segment to MPC Corporation. This includes the company's Nashville-based configuration center.[2] MPC subsequently ceased its services and filed for bankruptcy protection in early 2009, leaving Gateway business customers stranded without access to support or warranty services. This incident has caused substantial damage to the Gateway brand, a company that formerly boasted high marks in customer support reviews. The company has yet to offer any reprieve to customers caught up in the MPC Corporation collapse, leaving hundreds of thousands of Gateway computer owners without access to support and refusing to honor system warranties.

On October 16, 2007, Acer Inc. completed its acquisition of Gateway...

On July 27, 2008, Gateway ended all direct sales from Gateway.com and phone orders. All new Gateway products could now only be purchased from major retailers and on other online sites"

Since 2008 Packard Bell is also owned by ACER.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emachines
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway,_Inc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users