Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question on GPU and PC RAM

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:02 AM

Next week I am going to buy the ACER AS6930G-744G32 laptop.

It has 4GB of RAM and it is preloaded with Windows Vista Home Premium 32Bit. As everybody knows, a 32bit windows can only support to 3GB of RAM.

Now, I would like to know, what is going to happen to the other 1GB of RAM (of the computer not the GPU)

Can someone explain this to me?

Another question is :

Does anyone who own this laptop (or who worked on one of them) encountered any problems so far and do you recommend it as a good laptop?

It will be much appreciated
Thanks

Edited by Delta16, 13 June 2009 - 07:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:17 AM

Hi Delta,

32 bit will use around 3.5 gig of ram, the rest of it is not used by your OS, in other words it is wasted. But on saying that the Acer you have picked is a nice machine I currently have 2 Acers and Im very happy with them.
Funny though I have my main system installed with Vista ultimate 32 bit with 4 gigs of ram...oh well I will get WIn 7 64 bit when it is released.

Edited by Monty007, 13 June 2009 - 07:18 AM.

MCP
MSDST

#3 Delta16

Delta16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:52 PM

Thanks for replying.

Maybe later ill install the 64bit but for now ill leave it as it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users