Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Genuine Advantage - Require Assistance Please

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Arnold Pattern

Arnold Pattern

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:44 AM

Hello.

I have fortunately not installed Windows Genuine Advantage, thus its "impossible" removal won't be the issue here.

The problem is that it attempts to install (Not alone, it notifies me and requires me to click next and accept a lisence agreement) upon startup every time.

The only way I have been able to disable this is using MSCONFIG and putting the PC into a state where no startup items load.

If I remove just WGA, the computer will still notify me that it is in a modified startup state, which I don't really want to do.

Is there any way to prevent this program running on startup otherwise?

Note : I cannot uninstall the WGA installation tool, and nor can I purge it from startup with such as CCleaner.

I do have a validated copy of Windows, before you ask, I just can't stand microsoft pushing its crap down my throat.

Second note : I contacted Microsoft Technical support, It was suggested that I validate my copy using a program they linked me to, it was WGA! They totally misunderstood, or tried to trick me into installing the bloody thing!

Thanks for any/all assistance fella's.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:48 AM

<<Is there any way to prevent this program running on startup otherwise?>> AND <<I just can't stand microsoft pushing its crap down my throat.>>

It seems that...you don't understand the relationship between Microsoft...and those who use Microsoft products.

The O/S is their product, they make the rules by which that product is used...and that seems quite fair to someone as old as I am.

If you don't like their rules or their products...you have alternatives. Employ them...legally.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=h...oq=&aqi=g10

Louis

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:23 AM

MS is way too intrusive .
Checking to make sure a XP/Vista installation is legit is one thing, monitoring a computer for changes is another.
It's none of MS's business if I add memory or change my video card.
They also shouldn't be able to say, "Hey, You changed too much stuff, you need to buy a new license.

When you decline [I disagree] with WGA there should be a option presented with a little box you can put a checkmark in that says "Don't offer this again".

I know how to get rid of WGA & stop it from bugging you but due to the forum rules I can not post any information on how to circumvent any "security" .

Edited by fairjoeblue, 13 June 2009 - 12:28 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 Arnold Pattern

Arnold Pattern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:24 AM

To the last poster, its not bugging me as such, and its not circumventing security, technically, its telling me how to prevent an unwanted installer from running each time on startup.

#5 Arnold Pattern

Arnold Pattern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:28 AM

Also : To Hamluis,

My copy of windows is legal and I resent the implication I am just a pirate trying to avoid the consequences.

Secondly, the link you have given me, quite patronisingly is useless to me, and you've probably just misread my original post.

I have no installed WGA, I don't need to remove or disable it.

I need to know how to prevent the "Would you like to install Windows Genuine Advantage?" screen from coming up on each reboot of the PC.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:38 AM

Technically, you are trying to circumvent WGA even if that's not your intention. That's why no one can help you do what you want. The best way to get rid of the nag is to install WGA as requested. Louis' skepticism is warranted because if your Windows is legal, that shouldn't be a problem. You don't have a choice. It's Microsoft's product. We probably see a half a dozen people a week on BP trying to illegally circumvent Microsoft though most don't perceive it as illegal.

Edited by frankp316, 14 June 2009 - 10:41 AM.

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:04 AM

WGA is mandentory ONLY if you want to do "Custom" updates & certain downloads from MS.
It is NOT required that it be installed.

The OP is NOT asking how to circumvent security but rather how to stop a optional download from nagging at every startup.
Asking how to remove WGA after it's installed, & giving the "you have pirated Windows" message would be trying to circumvent security.

MS is real good at "black listing" OEM keys & causing people to get a WGA problem with legit "factory installed" versons of XP .
MS has had MANY class action law suits over WGA.
There was a court order issued that MS provide a free , easy to find, tool to remove WGA simply because of how many "false positives" they create with WGA.

MS is the only co. in the world that seems to think it's perfectly OK to try to force people to buy more product simply by saying what a person has is not legal based solely on a list that they [MS] create.

MS has used underhanded methods of marketing for YEARS.
Most of their advertizing is based on "FUD" [Fear, Uncertainty, & Doubt]
MS seems to think trying to scare people in to buying thier new products is good business.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 14 June 2009 - 11:10 AM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:43 PM

Actually, he hasn't given a reason for not wanting to install WGA other than "I don't want Microsoft shoving crap down my throat". Like it or not, that's not a valid reason and should be viewed as suspicious.

#9 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:49 PM

I fail to see how somebody not wanting spyware on their computer is "suspicous" .

Yes, Spyware.
Any program that monitors your computer & keeps somebody or a co. informed if you make chanes in hardware or software is spyware.

I installed WGA just to do custom updates to get what I want & then removed it.

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:52 PM

How does one know if they have WGA installed on their system?

I know for a fact that my Windows is legit but I cannot find any trace of anything called WGA or anything with the words "Genuine" or "Advantage" on my computer so I am guessing I do not have it. Have no idea if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Edited by Stang777, 14 June 2009 - 07:15 PM.

#11 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:13 PM

Since this is "Windows XP Home and Professional" I assume you have XP.

If you go to the control panel>add/remove & put a checkmark in the box at the top that says Show Updates by it & you have WGA installed it will show as,"Windows Genuine Advantade Validation Tool (KB892130)

If you do a file search for WGA & find, WGA Tray, WGALogon.dll, & WGAErrLog you have WGA installed.

If you install CCleaner in the "Tools" feature if you have WDA installed it will be listed as "Windows Genuine Advantade Validation Tool (KB892130)

As for WGA being a good thing or bad it's a matter of opinion.

The fact is XP has to be activated when it is installed.

In my opinion WGA is spyware pure & simple.
It is an inyrusive program that constantly monitors your computer & sends information back to MS on a regular basis.
That fully fits the accepted description of spyware.

The only reason MS keeps pushing WGA out is no court has gotten serious with MS.
They find MS guilty & give them a 15 millon dollar fine.
MS makes over a billion dollars a DAY.
They throw the fine money at the court knowning they make it back in 10 minutes & put WGA right back in automatic updates.
If the court fined them 15 BILLIBON instead THAT would have an impact.

MS claims WGA is a "Piracy preventative" utility.
The truth of the matter is it's simply a scare tatic marketing tool to try & scare people in to buying something they already paid for.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 14 June 2009 - 10:23 PM.

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:07 PM

Thank you for answering my question fairjoeblue, looks like I do not have that on my system

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users