Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repairing Windows XP without System Restore or Reformatting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 amarrao

amarrao

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 02 July 2005 - 06:17 AM

Does Microsoft offer any means to repair Windows XP when it has one too many battle scars from sparring with viruses, scumware, and adware? Ideally, I am hoping they provide something like their Office repair feature, which downloads some kind of file to your computer that detects missing or erroneous files in the MS Office Suite and replaces them for you. I need an alternative to reformatting and using System Restore because HP, for some unknown reason, does not offer recovery CDs for my computer (Pavilion 740n) and System Restore does not work on my computer due to Sasser's earlier presence.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 02 July 2005 - 10:25 AM

It depends on what kind of repair it needs. The first thing I'd do is open a command window by going to Start -> Run and typing:

sfc /scannow

That will run System File Checker to see if there are any missing files. But then you'll be prompted to install the missing files. DLL files can often be found on the internet if they can't be replaced from HP's second partition. That won't do much for a corrupted registry or some other problem, though.

But start with the System File Checker and see what it finds.

#3 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 02 July 2005 - 01:34 PM

While you're waiting for a pro to respond, I read your post and thought you might want to read the following MS knowledge-based article in the Help and Support feature: Windows File Protection. I actually got this article via a link inside another help article I was reading, but you should be able to type "Windows File Protection" in the Help search box and get to it.

Then go to:

http://support.mocrososft.com/default.com/...kb;en-us;310747

There you can read about Windows "System File Checker Utility". I printed out a long time ago and have run the scans more than once. I'll type the key paragraph below:

To run the System File Checker (SFC) Utility in Windows XP, Click the Start button, then click Run, and type into the entry box : SFC /Scannow . Then click OK. The actual scan takes quite awhile, but is worth it, I think. If it finds any damaged, overwritten or altered files, it retrieves the correct version from the cache folder (%Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache) or the Windows installation source files (have your WinXP CD handy in case it prompts you to insert), and replaces the incorrect file with the correct one from the cache folder (or CD). It has never asked me to insert my Windows XP CD to date. You must be logged on with a computer administrator account to run SFC.

Hope this will be helpful.
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users