Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CANNOT START DEFRAGMENTATION

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 monika

monika

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:53 PM

Hello there,

non of my programmes installed in the computer does not recognize IE. I will not let me copy from Word into my e-mail. I says I need Explorer 3 or above. I think I have got eve higher Explorer, do not know what number it is as i do not know where to find that information. Please help, even other programs do not respon to IE.

Thanks

Monika

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:23 PM

To determine what version of IE you are using, open it and click on HELP, then ABOUT; you will find it there. Report back to us which version you find.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 just-joey

just-joey

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:33 PM

to check the version of your explorer ( or any program) click on help and in help about " explorer" it will tell you the version number.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:40 PM

It would help us understand your problem if you told us, step by step, what you are doing, and precisely when you get that error message, and the exact wording of the message.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 monika

monika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2005 - 04:42 AM

Hello,

just wanted to run defragmentation, but seems to have a trouble with IE for some reaseon a window pops up saying: Console MMC needs IE 5.5 or higher to be installed. I had this problem before with ICQ and I had to stop using it and switch for Miranda because it just would not work. I have IE 6.0 installed, at least from what I know, but it does not corespond with otehr program.

Please help me...

Thanks,
Monika

#6 monika

monika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2005 - 06:45 AM

Hello,

sorry for not getting back earlier...
I found which version of IE I have got, it says it is: .xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519IC...have no idea what that means, but my problems still remain.

At the moment I tried to defragment my disc, but a window popped up saying: Console MMC needs IE 5.5 or higher to be installed. and then it would not let me defragment. Do not understand this and do not know waht to do...

Please help...

Thanx,
Monika

Mod Edit - Topics Merged

Edited by Rimmer, 02 July 2005 - 07:48 AM.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 02 July 2005 - 07:26 AM

Are you talking about disk defragmentation here? What on earth does that have to do with IE, ICQ or Miranda?

Depending on what version of Windows you have, the disk defragmenter is found by right clicking the C: drive under 'My Computer' and clicking on Properties>Tools. Win XP wont defrag now but will schedule it for next restart.

Please tell us what you can about your PC and operating system.

Edited by Rimmer, 02 July 2005 - 07:35 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 monika

monika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2005 - 07:46 AM

hi,

thanks for response..

I myself have no idea why this window keeps popping up..my operating system is Windows XP, I tried to restart the coputer but nothing happens...

I had this problem for a while...any program in my coputer do not want to cooperate with IE, eg. Microsoft Word - I cannot copy anything from Word into my e-mail when working in IE, I says I need IE 3.0 or higher for this function. The same with ICQ...and now when I wanted to start defragmentation of my disc C:\ ...a window Microsof Management Console popped up saying: Console MMc needs IE5.5 or higher to be installed.

This started happening after I got rid of lots of spyware and adware from my computer few months ago.

My IE version is: .xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519IC

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2005 - 08:07 AM

I'm not sure where you are geting that IE number from, but from your HJT analysis on 27th June you have Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) which is up to date.

Do some basic maintenance:
(These instructions apply to Windows ME and XP, other versions may not have the functions described)
  • Clean your internet cache and temporary files:
    Click Start and Run then type in cleanmgr this will start the windows disk cleanup tool.
    Tick the boxes beside Temporary internet Files, Recycle Bin and Temporary Files then click OK

• Boot in Safe Mode and do a scandisk with the 'Thorough' and 'Fix' options checked.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here:
    Safe Mode
    How to find scandisk:
    Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now

• When that's finished do a defrag.
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
    They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.

• Reboot and see if there's any improvement.

• Check how much free space you have on your hard drive.
    Start>My Computer click once on your C: drive and look in the Details box on the left.
Let us know the results :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#10 monika

monika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2005 - 09:26 AM

hi,

i did what you said, ran a disc scan but could not run defrag because of the same problem occured again when booted on safe mode.

checked space on disc: free space 7.67 GB out of 40GB.

Do not know what to do...

#11 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 02 July 2005 - 12:13 PM

have you run any anispy or anivirus lately only as rimmer said defrab has nothing to do with I E AS THAT IS INTERNET explorer or your computer has got a virus buired deep.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#12 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2005 - 08:46 PM

I have not been able to find a reference to an error with Microsoft Management Console when trying to run Defrag. All I have learned is MMC is a customisable 'container' to hold Win XP management tools called snap-ins. One snap in which can be included in an MMC is defrag. MMC requires some compements of Internet Explorer to function correctly.

The puzzling thing is, as I read it you don't need to run MMC to use the tools - you can run defrag from the command prompt, so I don't know why you get the MMC error when you try to run defrag from within windows. But then again I may be way out of my depth . :thumbsup:

Suggestions:
1. Repair IE - there is a tutorial to fix IE here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...ress-tut71.html

2. Run SFC - get your WinXP CD handy and at the command prompt type "sfc /scannow" (no quotes)

hth :flowers:

#13 bluto

bluto

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2005 - 10:25 PM

I have not been able to find a reference to an error with Microsoft Management Console when trying to run Defrag. All I have learned is MMC is a customisable 'container' to hold Win XP management tools called snap-ins.  One snap in which can be included in an MMC is defrag. MMC requires some compements of Internet Explorer to function correctly.

The puzzling thing is, as I read it you don't need to run MMC to use the tools - you can run defrag from the command prompt, so I don't know why you get the MMC error when you try to run defrag from within windows. But then again I may be way out of my depth . :thumbsup:

Suggestions:
1. Repair IE - there is a tutorial to fix IE here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...ress-tut71.html

2. Run SFC - get your WinXP CD handy and at the command prompt type "sfc /scannow" (no quotes)

hth  :flowers:

Rimmer you seem to understand this well as i do.
You do mean Internt Explorer ? for IE ?
Are you trying to surf and defrag at the same time ? :trumpet:
If so follow rimmers preperations for defrag.
Rimmer isn't it chkdisk this says after next restart though ?
Please lead this topic.

Edited by Rimmer, 03 July 2005 - 12:16 AM.

#14 monika

monika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2005 - 02:18 PM

Hi,

thanks very much for you help, after I reinstalled IE 6.0 defragmentaion started working...thanks again...

BUT, there was another problem that occured when I restarted the copmuter it said it cannot find file shlwapi.dll and to replace it and I had to restart with the last known configuration of coputer which has been working alright since then, I ma only bit worried that if I restart it will appear again. Is there any way how to replace that missing file???

Thanx..

#15 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 03 July 2005 - 02:47 PM

You can get your file here:
shlwapi.dll
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users