Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing Up on infected system

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 rialta

rialta

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:50 PM

Hi,

My system is infected. (I will post for help tomorrow). I read in the section about getting help that a backup should be done before trying to clean out a system. I finally got an external drive so I can back up - it arrived the day after I started having problems. If I back up files and photos to that drive, won't it become infected? Thanks you in advance!

rialta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:06 PM

Are you going to reformat to clean the system.

2 guidelines/rules when backing up

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe's, .scr, .com, .pif etc... as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.

Download Belarc Advisor - builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, including Microsoft Hotfixes, and displays the results in your Web browser.
Run it and then print out the results, they may be handy.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 creighs

creighs

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:22 PM

Hi,

I have a few questions about this issue as well.

I've also heard that one shouldn't backup zipped files either. But what if you are the one who created the .zip and the contents are just, for example, .docs? What is the best way to save your bookmarks if you're not to back up .html files? Last one: if one had (or suspected) some form of an autorun malware what would you suggest as a backup method/procedure? For example, I have a similar situation as rialta. I have an external HD that I've never really used before, and I'm reluctant to connect it to my computer to back up files if I'm just going to infect the XHD, format my computer, then put those files and the infection right back on to my new, happy computer.

I hope it's okay that I slipped in a few questions...
Take care!
S.

#4 rialta

rialta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:27 AM

I plan to seek help cleaning out the infections here at bleeping computer. I am hoping to avoid a reformat. I will download Belarc Advisor and print the results.

I'm relieved to know I can back up my .doc and photo files. I'm glad creighs asked some questions, because I just found out that there are no instructions with my external hard drive. I will see if I can find some online. I'm concerned because it looks like I just plug it in and it backs everything up automatically. It's a Western Digital "My Passport Essential" portable hard drive. Like creighs I am also interested if there is a preferred back up procedure.

I'll be back...

Thank you!

Are you going to reformat to clean the system.

2 guidelines/rules when backing up

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe's, .scr, .com, .pif etc... as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.

Download Belarc Advisor - builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, including Microsoft Hotfixes, and displays the results in your Web browser.
Run it and then print out the results, they may be handy.

Edited by rialta, 13 June 2009 - 01:45 PM.

#5 rialta

rialta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:50 PM

I printed the Belarc Advisor report. I googled the external hard drive and found some instructions at the manufacturers site. Before I backed up my files, I went through all the photos to be sure there were no other files there. Yet during the backup, I noticed files with thumb.db and picasa.ini or .inf being backed up. Some of the photos were edited in Picasa, but I didn't back up the program itself. Will these files be a problem?

Thank you!

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:00 PM

AS long as you were the editor or were aware of the editing as safe then they are fine,
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 rialta

rialta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 01:31 PM

Yes, I am the editor. I guess I will go over to the "Am I infected" forum for the next part of this journey.

Thank you for all your help! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users