Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The awesomest, most amazing Desktop Search App Ever

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:49 PM

I am still in awe of this program. I cannot fathom how it does what it does and so fast.

The program is called Everything. It's a desktop search engine program, like Google Desktop or the (laughable) built-in search function in Windows.

This little program kicks Google Desktops hindquarters, and kicks it hard.

It's small, simple, and extremely, blisteringly, laws-of-physics-violatingly fast. Here's my setup:

I have three physical drives partitioned into seven volumes. Four of these are accessible to Windows (the other three are Linux volumes.) All of the four accessible volumes are formatted in NTFS and have an aggregate capacity of 439.39GB. Total usage of these drives is 215.94GB. or about 49%. There are way more than 1,000,000 files all together (I didn't count, though).

No more than ten seconds after I installed Everything, I ran a test search:
Posted Image

The search, as you can see, was for *micro*.pdf. We power searchers will appreciate the wildcard (* and ?) support, boolean (AND, OR, NOT) operator and regex support.

Results were instantaneous. I couldn't believe it! This program had not had any chance at all to index my hard drives, yet it found all the files that matched my query, instantly!

Also, the search results were updated as I typed!

You there, the person reading this: go download this program now. It's free!

Note: I am NOT connected with this program or its maker in any way whatsoever. This is my genuine opinion. I am impressed, and it's not easy to impress me.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 12 June 2009 - 08:59 PM.
Tpyo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:44 PM

I agree.I have had "Everything" for some time,and find it invaluable, to find anything on my Computer,almost instantly.
Would not be without this amazing program. :thumbsup:

#3 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:47 PM

Downloaded and running. Pretty slick Andrew. Thanks! :thumbsup:
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#4 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:32 AM

Perfect. I hated Window's search function. Thanks. :thumbsup:
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#5 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:28 PM

That's absolutely awesome and amazing, Andrew.

For me, the most important aspect of a search is absolute accuracy. I rarely need to search for a file on my system, but when I do, I don't want to be at the mercy of even the possibility of inaccurate results due to a "stale" cache, an undetected system change, or the like. Additionally, I don't want my system to be burdened or bothered by any "optimization" of a function that I may use only once a month.

The following is a slight modification of the default shortcut for Everything. It rebuilds Everything's database from scratch each time Everything is started. Everything does not start at system (XP) startup, nor does any part of Everything run in the background after exiting Everything. There is never any chance of any database information getting out of synch or being inconsistent. Everything impacts the system only when I am actually, actively using it:

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/4490/scrn003a.png

On my XP Pro SP3 800MHz Pentium III system with 352,439 files, it takes only about 35 seconds to rebuild the Everything database from scratch when I start Everything to search for something. As Amazing Andrew pointed out, the actual seaching occurs as fast as I type the search string; when I'm finished typing, the results are there. That 35-second startup time (induced by my change) is a small price to pay for absolute accuracy in the search and absolutely no overhead of any kind associated with any part of Everything running except precisely when I need it.

And to think that, up until now, I was (gratefully) tolerating the 10-minute search time (I just ran a test) required by the Windows Search in an environment where drive indexing was disabled (for all the good reasons that drive indexing in Windows should be disabled).

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:26 PM

Thanks for the tip, M...! :thumbsup:

#7 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:12 AM

Totally agree AA.

I have used this utility constantly since I came across it months ago, and the speed never fails to astound me.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:00 PM

I just sent this to my cousin who is trying to get rid of Yoog and has to delete all of Firefox.
Windows search proved itself incompetent to find even the profile. Missed about ten files.

She used EVERYTHING and it found and deleted what looks like everything Firefox in a flash.

So Andrew, here is a cyberhug from my cuz. Thanks!!
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:14 AM

Magnificent program!

Thank you Andrew :thumbsup:

ranger72
So Much To Learn; So Little Time To Learn It In!

#10 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:55 PM

cool find. downloading it now. although i must say that i currently use "locate" for searching. works similar and hasnt failed on me either thus far searching my roughly 850GB hdd storage.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#11 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:49 PM

Got it to work. Apparently the zip file has some issues with my PC. I tried the winRAR version ( portable) and it works perfectly. It is fast REALLLL Fast

Edited by Nigelajodha, 06 July 2009 - 04:57 PM.

#12 HydraHeaded

HydraHeaded

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:54 AM

This definitely is the best search app ever. I had saved a thousand web pages or so, and I just used this and it indexes them all in a jiffy.

#13 MightyFlye

MightyFlye

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:10 PM

Wow. To think I've been using the default search feature all this time.
Everything is sweet, thanks!! :thumbsup:

#14 man4590

man4590

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:23 PM

:flowers: :thumbsup: :trumpet: fastest i have used

#15 tork

tork

• Members