Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Program Files (x86)" folder not visible anymore

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:07 PM

My computer: Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 AMD 64bit

I am aware of the two folder for program files, but this scrn shot(attachment) will explain it more..
My "Program Files (x86)" folder is not showing up in my C drive list, it is still there, but not appearing any ideas? I think other folders are not showing as well..

Attached File  samp.gif   307.7KB   15 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pm79311

pm79311

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:27 PM

in Vista, some system files and folders are marked hidden. If you want to see them you have to set them to be seen using folder properties
You can set the properties for individual files and folders, or system wide.

Generally, the system folders are marked hidden in order to protect them from untrained users accidentally deleting necessary files.

in search options you can choose to search system and or hidden files and folders.

#3 YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:39 PM

Thanks but it was visible always and now it does not show up in search results.. It was never hidden before or marked as protected(so in other words hidden)..

Well I did choose to list protected vista files and it finally shows up, so you were right! But why did it do that now when I was able to see it before?

Edited by YounGMessiah, 12 June 2009 - 06:41 PM.

#4 YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:09 PM

Okay so I found the folder, but I had to go to folder options and check view hidden folders as well as uncheck hide protected operating system files..

Now I have read all over the internet that Vista does that if an attempt of a virus happen or if a virus is present.. I scanned my computer and there is no viruses..

I have tried the command prompt using the attrib command and I got it to be unhidden and normal again, but once I restart the computer it hides it again.. How would I go on about making Vista stop treating it as a protected operating system files because before it did not and I was able to view once I was in the C drive along with the Program Files folder???

EDIT: whoops sorry for the double post

Edited by YounGMessiah, 12 June 2009 - 09:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users