Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC randomly, regularly freezes, google chrome issue?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lorilr

lorilr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 05:41 PM

Hi

This seems to me an impossible question to ask - like "I have a headache, what is wrong with me?" but I'll give it a try.

For the last two weeks my PC randomly, regularly freezes, Have to manually power down and reboot.

I had installed google chrome and as it was the only change made, searched for a connection there.

I found some folks who had trouble with chrome and windows search - making the pc freeze up.

SO I tried to disable windows search. As I recall, search had an option to disable for all subdirectories and I took that option. An
eternity later, search was still running through subdirectories so I stopped it. And turned it off through windows services.

Problem kept happening. SO I ininstalled chrome. Problem kept happening.

I went back to a system restore point that turned out to be after I installed chrome but it was before the freezing up started.

That didn't help. For a day or two I was having trouble getting the pc to boot up. It would boot in safe mode, I would run anti-virus
etc and then boot normally.

Now, the pc is booting fine and working anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours before freezing. No rhyme or reason that I can detect.

I have run avast anti-virus and spy bot - no problems.

I reformatted my hard drive and re-installed windows about 2 months ago so I don't think defrag is an issue.

I have read through threads here and am about blind trying to figure out where to start.

Can someone please point me to a checklist of what to start looking for?

Thanks
Lori

BTW - Dell Dimension desktop, windows XP

Edited by lorilr, 12 June 2009 - 05:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:59 PM

<<I reformatted my hard drive and re-installed windows about 2 months ago so I don't think defrag is an issue.>>

If I went two months without defragging my hard drives...I don't think the system would perform very well.

Is that your way of telling us that you don't use your system very much?

Re Windows Search, I suggest that you uninstall it...there is no appreciable benefit for the average user of XP, IMO.

System freezes...can be caused by any number of issues...how much RAM is installed?

How to Avoid Overheating Hardware Secrets - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/142

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Louis

#3 lorilr

lorilr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for your help.

Not sure i was typing exactly what I was thinking. Since I reformatted recently I don't think there is much junk in the registry, hard drive, etc. And I defrag regularly so don't think that is the issue either.

I recently replaced the video card (way before any of this happened) and I cleaned out the interior at the same time.

When researching on this forum the heat and dust inside the PC seemed to come up a lot and I don't think I have either of those issues.

Thanks
Lori

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:12 AM

How much RAM installed?

System manufacturer and model?

Any error messages?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Disable Auto Reboot On System Crash - http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users