Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP, did it stall / loop or was it just impatients..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 eastonch

eastonch

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:50 PM

Heya, i went to the pizza shop and turned pc on before i left so it would boot by the time i got back, thing is last time i shut down i didnt let it update so when i came back i saw it at the windows splash screen (the rolling - - - - - - ) one
so i left it a sec and then turned it off via holding Power button in, it returns on and says it was shut down unexpected ly and i need to chose a option, i hit normally as first port of call then i woulda hit Last known config.. i reboot it and it works with normal windows, surprisingly, it took a lil longer than usual or it coulda been paitence, then it hits me with a big 'Windows is going to check C:\ for errors' i thought, oh crap ive messed my HDD up, so i cancel it and it boots into windows, i get the green sheild in corner saying it had updated and needed to reboot, which it probebly had done.

No i dunno what to do..
1) it was rebooting when i turned it off and the reboot was interupted and left a bad sector on C;\
2) it was crashing anyway and the new update made it crash
3) none of the above

I dunno if i should run a check, because if so, itll have to be ran while im out because it takes forever.. its a 500gb hdd and last time it took like 2 hours.. #

Help please... maybe a defrag might help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:01 PM

You need to get a little patience & let the computer do what it's doing until it's done.
Forcing it to shut down/restart/ & canceling scans isn't going to work long before it quits working, period.

Open My Computer
Right click on the C drive
On the menu click Properties
When the properties box opens click on the Tools tab
Where it says Error checking click on Check Now
Put checkmarks in both of the little boxes under Check disk opyions
[click on the boxes]
Click Start
You will get a message box, "Could not be performed yadda yadda" just click Yes
Restart the computer
Be patient while the scan runs, let it start to the desktop on it's own.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 eastonch

eastonch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:07 PM

I tried what u said before u posted and didnt hit any boxes, now it said it was unable to finish on the drive i run a disk defreg and it says it is scheduled to start a chkdsk on roeboot use chkdsk /f or sumit...

whats this mean and if i reboot and it starts, i leave it, and then it hangs for ages, and i shut it down whatll happen? is there a way to make a 'safe' point i can refer to if this all goes bang?

please reply before i reboot and i cant get rid of it.

#4 eastonch

eastonch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:44 PM

UPDATE

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.
Unable to locate the file name attribute of index entry LastGood.Tmp
of index $I30 with parent 0x1c in file 0x5ad42.
Deleting index entry LastGood.Tmp in index $I30 of file 28.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
CHKDSK is recovering lost files.
Cleaning up 1177 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1177 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1177 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

488375968 KB total disk space.
260697236 KB in 359964 files.
136080 KB in 33844 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
584400 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
226958252 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
122093992 total allocation units on disk.
56739563 allocation units available on disk.

Is the log i got after letting it run, i am going to let it rerun with both boxes ticked, what does this gabble mean? and ill come back with a second log in a few mins (30mins maybe more)

ALSO I FOUND THE CRASH

The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:.'

This was around the time i forced it to shut down.. could this be a suitable log for that?

Edited by eastonch, 12 June 2009 - 02:45 PM.

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:24 PM

You forced a hard shut down
You canceled a disk scan
You then forced another hard shut down instead of letting it restart.

I would be suprised if the file system wasn't corrupt.

If it works OK after running CKHDSK ?F start letting it do what it's going to do in it's own time.
trying to force it to do things as fastt as you want instead of as fast as it wants is going to cause problems.

Not trying to be feceious but if you're that impatient buy a faster computer.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 eastonch

eastonch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:33 AM

how would i know if it was corrupt mate? would it jsut not boot? ive defragged (not that it would help) ran the Check disks and i posted the log of it so if that tells u anything...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users