Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Damage warning message

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:37 PM

Hi, while playing a flight sim yesterday the screen suddenly went blue and a message came up saying something like "Data Error Warning, WinXP is shutting down to avoid damage to your computer", followed by a screenfull of meaningless techy PC-language text and numbers.
I restarted and everything seemed fine at first but now I keep noticing tiny glitches while surfing around various forums, notably they don't seem to have updated each time I visit and I have to hit the F5 key to refresh them.
Do you think yesterdays shutdown has anything to do with it, and that my PC or my Win XP Home was damaged in some way?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 eastonch

eastonch

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:44 PM

mm, id do a chk dsk, you can innitiate this via going to right lcicking 'my' computer and going to tools, there should be a option for disk checking, hit this and then hit both ticky boxes and it will come up saying you need to reboot to access all sectors for scanning, dependent on HDD< this can take from 30seconds to 5 hours +
this a 'advanced' form of the old scan disk which was a scare with all Win98 users when they booted and found a sector scanner hitting u :| scared me a few time heh' it will come up with the problems you have and try to restore the issues, if no issue turn up, run Disk Defrag.

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:11 AM

Thanks, but I can't seem to find anything that gives me a disk check option, below is the screen which comes up in 'System Tools', i've clicked around each category in there but it's a mystery to me..

Posted Image

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 13 June 2009 - 11:12 AM.

#4 eastonch

eastonch

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:47 AM

I told u wrong info, go into my computer, right click ur hdd, (C:\) then go to properties, now tools.. then click the disk checking option, then hit the 2 ticky boxes then hit check now.. it will ask to reboot and scan, hit yes to reboot after reading the messgae, it can take a while to do but after its finished, go to this ...
Immediately after running chkdsk - go to the Event Viewer - Application - look for 'winlogon' and click it
Event viewer is by control panel -> admin tools -> event viewer...

post this message into here and we'l get a better idea of what its doing...

#5 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:52 AM

Okay the dik check took about 3 hours.
But when I tried to find 'winlogon' I couldn't find it, I could only get as far as 'Application'.
Below is a small part of the long list that came up, what do you think?

Posted Image

#6 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:00 AM

And I just did a defrag but the problems still there, namely forums haven't updated when i visit them again, and i have to hit the F5 refresh button

#7 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:15 PM

You should find winlogon in the Source column of the event viewer when you click the application logs. go to View Filter and type winlogon in the source box to filter logs by source.

Edited by Baloo, 18 June 2009 - 12:16 PM.

When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:23 PM

forums haven't updated when i visit them again, and i have to hit the F5 refresh button

Check your settings in Control Panel>Internet Options. On the page that comes up, the one with the General tab, click on Settings located on the far right in the middle of page, at the top of the page that comes up, it says "Check for newer versions of stored pages", make sure that "Never" is not checked. Mine is set to automatic but I am sure the top option would be just as good.

Edited by Stang777, 18 June 2009 - 10:24 PM.

#9 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:05 PM

Weird! The problem seems to go away when I select 'Every time I visit the web page', but a short while later while surfing I notice its up to its old tricks again and hasn't refreshed.
I go back to the panel below and see that its re-set itself to 'Automatic' as if its got a mind of its own, and sadly the problem arises with 'Automatic'.
Why won't it stick on the 'Every time I visit the web page" setting?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users