Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Laptop shuts down

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bat5454

Bat5454

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:29 AM

Not sure if this should be posted here or in the VISTA forum, but I'll try here.

I have an HP Pavillion DV6636NR laptop, about a year & a half old. Vista SP1, 2 Gigs of RAM, AMD Turion X2 TL-58

It shuts down intermittently, no blue screen, no errors. Just shuts right down, usually in the middle of something.

I'm running AVG 8.5, but i havent been able to complete a scan -- it goes for an hour or so & then shuts down in the middle of the scan.

The bottom of the laptop seems really hot at times, but it doesn't seem hotter than at times when it doesn't shut down.

Any way I can tell if this is a hardware or software problem, or heat?

thanks for any ideas
BT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 L0jyq

L0jyq

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:43 PM

My recommendation:

Check the system log. I'm not on vista right now, but on xp/2k it's accessed by right-clicking my computer and choosing Manage. Then you select the "event viewer" option at the top on the left.

You should see something in there with a red X, and some sort of error listed, causing it to shutdown

#3 Bat5454

Bat5454
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:52 PM

Thanks for the reply - I've checked the event viewer & there's nothing logged when it shuts down.

I'm really thinking its overheating - I was looking at laptop coolers on Newegg & saw a few people that
had problems like mine that were solved by using a cooler.

A related question - how can you tell what temperature the CPU is running at ??

I've seen a lot of posts that state that someones CPU is running at X or Y degrees C. I don't see anything in Vista that gives me that info.

thanks
BT

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:11 PM

The BIOS should accurately reflect the CPU temperature...or you can use something like Core Temp - http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users