Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Activation after reloading XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 art3d

art3d

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:59 AM

I reloaded XP Pro, and Windows won't let me do anything until I activate. I try to activate over my office network using "Automatically detect settings", but it says "Unable to establish a connection with the activation server". Another choice is to give the address and port of a proxy server, but honestly I don't know if I'm using one. The only other choice is to activate over the phone, but it sounds like I have a connection problem regardless. How do I know if I use a proxy server? If I register over the phone, won't I still have a connection problem to fix? How would I fix that? Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:06 AM

Since you just reloaded the OS you should first check to see if there are any missing drivers through the device manager. My guess is that you need to install the NIC driver.

You can skip the activation phase if it is happening after the first reboot ... you have 30 days to activate the OS before it craps out on you.

Edited by Baloo, 12 June 2009 - 10:11 AM.

When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 art3d

art3d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:25 AM

Sorry, I didn't explain well enough. When I logon, Windows takes me right to Activation. If I don't activate, it loggs me off. I have no other options--I can't get to my desktop or any other functions. I did the reload of XP a few months ago. Would I have to reload again?

#4 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:35 AM

Try the phone number to activate. The fact that it hasn't been activated is probably why you can't connect to the internet. Either way you have to activate it before you can start to troubleshoot the connectivity problem if in fact there is one.

#5 art3d

art3d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:15 PM

Thanks baloo. I did get Windows activated. I still don't have a connection though. I am plugged into my office network, and "Network Connections" says I'm connected, though zero packets have been sent & received. I am unable to connect to the internet and unable to map to my network drive ("network path can not be found"). Any ideas?

#6 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:52 PM

Check to see fi your Windows Firewall is turned on. Are you on a domain or a workgroup?

#7 art3d

art3d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:55 PM

domain.

Correction: It will be on a domain, once I can get it connected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users