Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD hard drive issues....I'm livid!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jasonb20

Jasonb20

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:56 AM

I cannot access my external HD anymore. It is a WD Elements 750GB less than 8 months old. Then the Safely Remove Hardware symbol appears. The HD is not found in My Computer however, I can see it under mass storage device located in Device Manager. I've Googled this problem and searched many forums, w/o success. Apparently, a lot of people have these issues with their external HD's. There are numerous of troubleshooting tips and advice but I can't find anything that works. I know I'm less than a year for warranty purposes, but don't want to send this particular HD in with my personal files and data to anyone prior to deleting the data.

The things I've done already:
-Called WD support. What a joke. They sent me a replacement USB cord, but it's the wrong one. I've tried different ones anyway w/o luck. They didn't offer any other troubleshooting tips that I haven't already tried.
-Plugged the device in different outlets.
-Uninstall and re-installed the USB controller in Device Manager.
-Attempted to update the driver.
-Tried the HD on another computer.
-Deleted the disk drive and rebooted.
-Installed my friends External HD (exact same one) on my computer and got same results. His works perfectly fine on his computer.
-Had to do a system restore cause I followed someones advice and deleted the Hal.dll like a moron. (another issue I'll address in another thread very soon!)
-Bought a USB flash drive to store my pic's and music on and ran [b]Windows Repair and did a Clean Install of Windows!

. Someone...please help! :thumbsup:

Edited by Jasonb20, 12 June 2009 - 03:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:12 PM

Run a disk diagnostic on the drive yet?

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...1=3&lang=en

If the drive can be easily removed from the enclosure...try attaching it directly to the motherboard?

Louis

#3 Jasonb20

Jasonb20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:28 PM

Run a disk diagnostic on the drive yet?

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...1=3&lang=en No. But I will asap! Ty.

If the drive can be easily removed from the enclosure...try attaching it directly to the motherboard? No. There is a seal over a screw that states will void my warranty if removed. I will attempt to remove the seal (persistent little sticker) very, very carefully. :thumbsup: Will Western Digital truly void the warranty if the sticker appears tampered with?

Louis

#4 Jasonb20

Jasonb20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:44 PM

Failed to mention:
Could my Drive storage locations or formatting be a reason to this also? I did a clean install of Windows due to other problems and think I screwed my drive listings up during re-installation of Windows. I have both C and D drives on the same disk. They are all partitioned and appear healthy. I accidentally put the D drive as the primary drive. *I was still unable to find my HD prior to this*.
I also can access a USB flash drive when inserted. It is also seen in the screenshot below.
Here are my screwed up Disks:
Posted Image

Edited by Jasonb20, 12 June 2009 - 02:46 PM.

#5 Jasonb20

Jasonb20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:39 AM

**UPDATE**

Took the advice of Hamluis and ran the Disk Diagnostics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm very confused. Is something obviously wrong with my Internal or External Drives?

Edited by Jasonb20, 14 June 2009 - 01:54 AM.

#6 Jasonb20

Jasonb20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:02 AM

A very early Monday morning bump....

Can anyone chime in on the results on the screen shots above? It's just so ironic that the external HD holding years of family memories failed and possibly now lost everything. I didn't know we needed a back-up Hard Drive for another one. :thumbsup:

Edited by Jasonb20, 15 June 2009 - 02:05 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:32 AM

A failure on a manufacturer's diagnostic...is reason to RMA the drive in my world.

It's time to call for RMA procedures, citing the diagnostic results.

Louis

#8 Jasonb20

Jasonb20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:46 PM

A failure on a manufacturer's diagnostic...is reason to RMA the drive in my world.

It's time to call for RMA procedures, citing the diagnostic results.

Louis

I just noticed something. Those tests results are based on findings on my internal HD. The External HD with problems wasn't apparently tested. If you look closely, you'll see USB listed for Drive #3. This is where my HD is connected but it doesn't recognize it, states "Not Availible".
Posted Image

I'm currently running 'TestDisk' and there is something obviously wrong. I see my Western Digital HD listed there but it states that it is a 2199GB HD! There is also a 'Read Error' problem listed. I'm currently in the process of analyzing the cylinder but it's taking a long time since it's trying to read 2199 GB , which is false.....

Edited by Jasonb20, 15 June 2009 - 09:06 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:38 AM

It seems clear that you have at least one questionable/bad drive...that may be impacting recognition of the others.

Louis

#10 Jasonb20

Jasonb20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:52 AM

It seems clear that you have at least one questionable/bad drive...that may be impacting recognition of the others.

Louis

Assuming the bad drive is the one listed in the screen shots, Drive 1. Is there a way I can make my good Drive, Drive 2, recognize the device instead? It is the 20 GB Drive that did pass the test.
Also, I did attempt to remove the External HD from the case. I don't know what to do next. I do see a label listing the Jumper pin settings, I just don't know how to try that. You also stated to try hooking up the Drive without the case, how do I try that?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:14 PM

<<Assuming the bad drive is the one listed in the screen shots, Drive 1. Is there a way I can make my good Drive, Drive 2, recognize the device instead? It is the 20 GB Drive that did pass the test.>>

Please don't refer to drives...by numbers you arbitrarily think of. Use the schematic and the manufacturer...to let us know what drive you are talking about.

From what I see on the WD diagnostic screen:

a. The WD 80GB WD drive has a problem...any time a drive fails SMART, it's usually an indication of impending failure.

b. The WD Elements 750GB drive that you initially referred to...also has a problem, since the diagnostic tool you used...is supposed to properly detect it and perform diagnostics on it. Nor does it reflect in Disk Management at all.

c. The Seagate 20GB drive will not necessarily produce valid results...if the WD test is run on it. Seagate has their own drive utilities for such.

Always...always run the extended test on any drive that fails the short test.

In short, I suggest you run the appropriate extended/long version of the proper diagnostic...on each drive (again).

After that, we can go forward.

And...please disconnect all flash drives until you get this sorted. There is no point in adding confusion to what is already a somewhat puzzling situation.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 June 2009 - 01:14 PM.

#12 Jasonb20

Jasonb20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:55 AM

I ran the extended test on both internal drives (WD 80GB and Seagate 20GB). They both passed. The problem external HD, WD7500E035-00 (750GB), again isn't recognized on the LifeGuard Diagnostics Tool. It lists itself as a USB with 0 mb capacity. If I attempt to run the SMART test on this, I get an error - READ DIAGNOSTICS SECTOR ERROR? So, I'm assuming that this program also doesn't recognize my HD.
I've removed the case and attempted to connect the HD to the desktop directly. I opened the cpu tower and unplugged the Seagate HD. The seagate is running as the slave and was connected via a 40 pin cable. My external HD has a sata connection. Is it safe to say that I now need an adapter from sata to ide?.
I'm kinda running out of solutions and now don't think I can get a RMA because I removed the case. I probably need to start obtaining quotes on some Data Recovery companies. I'm getting pretty desperate folks cause I have around 700 photos of my kids from birth to present. Those are the types of data you certainly cannot replace. I haven't even told my wife yet :thumbsup: .
Some advice from a newbie....

Please back up ALL your important data - several times over. Learn from my experience. I plan on getting another external HD to replace this one. I've already copied ALL my photos on DVD R's. I've already bought a 16GB flash drive dedicated to photos alone. Don't just rely on what you have like I did. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Jasonb20, 18 June 2009 - 02:03 AM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:53 AM

<<I've removed the case and attempted to connect the HD to the desktop directly. I opened the cpu tower and unplugged the Seagate HD. The seagate is running as the slave and was connected via a 40 pin cable. My external HD has a sata connection. Is it safe to say that I now need an adapter from sata to ide?>>

A controller card, a converter, whatever. If your motherboard doesn't support SATA, a user must use some device for the connection that facilitates proper communication.

<<I'm kinda running out of solutions and now don't think I can get a RMA because I removed the case.>>

I believe that was a conscious decision made by you. The suggestion was made to employ RMA procedures.

<<I probably need to start obtaining quotes on some Data Recovery companies.>>

Recovery solution attempts will continue to be available...the drive may not physically be able to be recovered. Although you could have RMA'd the drive if warranty provisions prevailed...you could not have used a recovery situation while the drive was in the USB 2.0 enclosure, since your system and the diagnostic was not recognizing either/both.

<<I'm getting pretty desperate folks cause I have around 700 photos of my kids from birth to present. Those are the types of data you certainly cannot replace. I haven't even told my wife yet.>>

Pardon my cynicism...but I believe that computer users who are truly concerned about the possibility of data loss...routinely back up (and test those backups) their systems. Although hard drive manufacturers and vendors seem to make external drives sound as if they are good backup solutions or data storage solutions...what I see is just a simple doubling or tripling of possible failure (power supply of external, enclosure itself, drive itself).

<<Some advice from a newbie....>>

Any user with a computer...is initially exposed to certain fundamental concepts, whether he/she chooses to value such or not. Key among these are the concepts of protecting the system from malware...backing up the system routinely...and updating the system for security updates. I might even add in simple concepts such as the importance of a few maintenance operations (chkdsk and defrag).

One exposed to those concepts...any user who chooses to not value such...just increases the chances of irritation (at self) later in the game.

Louis

#14 Jasonb20

Jasonb20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:11 PM

A controller card, a converter, whatever. If your motherboard doesn't support SATA, a user must use some device for the connection that facilitates proper communication. I'll be going to my local CompUSA in search of said device. I am hopeful but not sure if this is going to resolve anything.

I believe that was a conscious decision made by you. The suggestion was made to employ RMA procedures. I agree and was aware of my decision. Employing the RMA procedure meant giving up all hope of data recovery for the sake of saving the $89 spend on this drive for a replacement.

Pardon my cynicism...but I believe that computer users who are truly concerned about the possibility of data loss...routinely back up (and test those backups) their systems. Although hard drive manufacturers and vendors seem to make external drives sound as if they are good backup solutions or data storage solutions...what I see is just a simple doubling or tripling of possible failure (power supply of external, enclosure itself, drive itself). Yes, I strongly agree with you. I've had data in my cpu for the past 8 years without backup. I was taking a huge risk and very lucky that I didn't lose anything during those times. It wasn't until December 2008 that I decided to purchase an External HD. However, I did routinely check that particular drive as I did update it weekly with data. I was just foolish thinking that this was enough safety alone. I've already began preserving the existing data I have left many times over.

<<Some advice from a newbie....>>

Any user with a computer...is initially exposed to certain fundamental concepts, whether he/she chooses to value such or not. Key among these are the concepts of protecting the system from malware...backing up the system routinely...and updating the system for security updates. I might even add in simple concepts such as the importance of a few maintenance operations (chkdsk and defrag).

One exposed to those concepts...any user who chooses to not value such...just increases the chances of irritation (at self) later in the game.When I stated I was a newbie....I meant to this site. I do have some general knowledge of computing and routinely update my system. I perform all the operations you've listed here either daily or weekly.

I suspect that my WD external HD's failure was more of a mechanical failure rather than user error. The odd thing is that it does appear to spin normally when connected to my PC like it always did prior. I don't hear any abnormal clicking noises like others do when their drives failed. I'll let you know the end result in a few days. Thank you Louis for you help, it is sincerely appreciated.

[/quote]

Edited by Jasonb20, 18 June 2009 - 01:12 PM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:25 PM

Nice response, thanks :thumbsup:.

Hard drives are always a crap shoot...I have PATA drives which I've been using for over 6 years and I've quite a glut of hard drives for a user with 2 computers (because I have practically stopped using the PATA drives for anything other than backups and storage offline).

I don't buy any computer parts locally, online shopping provides better results, IMO.

You can buy a 1TB SATA drive (3-year warranty) for less than $80, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822145233

Just because a drive is classified as "internal", that does not mean that it has to be connected to the system every day and utilized for routine transactions.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users