Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Registry entries for uninstalled programs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:44 AM

I have two (2) I hope small problems

1. I have an entry in the registry for instant DVD recorder under h_key local machine, Software, Pinnacle,
Instant DVD recording, install. This program was uninstalled with both the Windows uninstaller and Revo. Somehow this remnant is still there which I stumbled on by accident.

2. Second entry is for h_key local machine,, software, nero, shared. Nero has never been installed on this system but these two entried persist.

My question is: Can I simply delete both entries? If so, could someone explain in some detail how, as I have never edited a registry entry manually before.

Please help, I am trying to get this system cleaned up and get rid of extraneous stuff. I am also trying to learn. I have a copy of the wikipedia article about the registry and am trying to digest that.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:12 AM

Generally stray registry entries such as these will have no effect on the performance of the computer. As such I wouldn't bother removing them.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:53 AM

Thanks for the replay "Budapest" ... This may be an exercise in futility ... you said that you wouldn't bother to remove these entries but since the programs, one gone and one never installed, no longer reside on the computer, as I stated initially, I would like to learn how to delete these entries. Learn being the operative word.

Since the nero has what seems to be two entries and the pinnscle has four entries what is the procedure?
Do I start at the lowest level and delete them in ascending order or do I start at the top level and by deleting that all subservient or lower level entries will automatically be deleted.?

Thanks.

#4 justjules

justjules

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 05:49 AM

Hi Dennis, have a look at this site it should tell you all you want. One bit of advice though make sure you back up the registry before you do anything.
Windows registry
Good luck
JJ

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:16 PM

The link referenced...is rather old, not one word about the XP/Vista/Windows 7 registries.

The simplest way to remove reg entries re programs which are not on the system:

a. Enter regedit (Start/Run..type regedit, hit OK). Make sure that the mouse pointer is at the top of the tree when you start the search.

b. Edit/Find...type the keyword for the program (e.g., Nero, Comodo, etc.) and make sure all three items are checked.

c. Start the Search. It will find one entry at a time...after finding one, delete it, and hit Find Next. Continue this until regedit tells you there are no more items to be found.

Of course...you will have to do this for each program you want to eliminate entries for.

Of course, backup before beginning.

I don't recommend this procedure for programs whereby you use common keywords (e.g., Office, antivirus, etc.) unless you are experienced in looking at the keys before removing them.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users