Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HD Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CatBlue

CatBlue

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:14 PM

Hello, I hope my note finds everyone doing well. I have a Dell Opti-plex computer (old model, on came with 20GB). Last year I added an external had drive, a Western Digital 500 GB. It ran well, for the most part. Sometimes, I got these annoying read/write failed error messages, but all I had to do was restart the computer, or disconnect the HD and restart. Unfortunately, a couple of days ago, I got the message, but when I restarted the computer it did not show anything in the HD (E:). When I right clicked on E: and looked at the properties, my NTFS drive was now showing as RAW and there were 0 bytes used and 0 bytes available. All my music (iTunes) and photos are on this drive because it was my backup. YIKES.

According to some of the other forums, the suggestion was to run CHKDSK in DOS. Well, I tried that. I ran chkdsk e: /f and it seemed to go through all three stages: file verification completed, index verification completed, security descriptor verification completed. Then the next line is "Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap" and after that, nothing at all. It has been running like that for an entire day, with no change. I have no idea if chkdsk is complete or when it will be. I heard that running chkdsk /f might take a while if you have a lot of files, but 24 hours? Is that normal or is my external HD just toast?

I look forward to your replies, kind regards,
Cat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:09 AM

You might want to run a diagnostic check on the hard drive.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/ph...amp;p_topview=1
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 CatBlue

CatBlue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:18 AM

Hi, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, running the Western Digital diagnostics (Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics) was the first thing I tried, but to no avail. My external drive did not even show up, only the internal drive (c:\).

Additionally, I let CHKDSK run all weekend (I was away). I checked it this morning and it was finally completed, but the news was not good. It completed stages 1-3, but the final status was:

Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Insufficient disk space to fix volume bitmap. CHKDSK aborted.

It is a 500GB hard drive and I had not even used up a quarter of that on my iTunes music library and photos! I still would love to know if there is anything else I can do to recover my data. I welcome all ideas!

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:28 PM

You could try this free file recovery software:

http://www.recuva.com/
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users