Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Threatfire deletes Codestuff Starter (old and new)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 laopa

laopa

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:09 PM

Hi,

I am an avid user and supporter of Threatfire and would like to continue using it if this matter can be sorted out. I also assume that I am no the only one out here who uses CodeStuff Starter.

Tried using the Threatfire site but every time I typed in Threatfire to the support request form I was zapped back to the second step of the three steps you need to follow if you would like support. Gave up and am trying this route.

Anyway the issue is that, up until yesterday, 11/06/09, Threatfire (here I go ... no OK) and a very handy and popular freeware utility program named CodeStuff Starter( http://codestuff.tripod.com/products_starter.html) lived happily together on my PC. And no doubt a considerable number of others around the globe.

However yesterday's updates to Threatfire (I think) then caused a major battle to erupt between these two former neighbours with Threatfire winning by deleting the "exe" for CodeStuff Starter. I got a Deep Red pop up from Threatfire stating that although the program just killed may seem innocuous it was actually considered so bad that Threatfire removed it without asking.

Went to Threatfire, opened it, removed Codestuff Starter from Quarantine and off we go again. No, not really, the next time I tried to use Codestuff Starter Threatfire killed it again.

Got the latest version of Codestuff Starter (no update for last three year but now a new version for this year) installed it and Threatfire killed it too.

I can only assume that this is a False Positive with fairly dramatic and substantially annoying consequences at present.

As I mentioned CodeStuff Starter is a very popular utility and has been around since Adam was a boy. Unless it has always been a "bad program", that Threatfire and none of the other of my security programs has ever previously had a problem with, then I must conclude that this is a False Positive from Threatfire. Scanning my system with Avira, Ad-Aware, Online Armor, SUPER AntiSpyware, SpyBot S&D, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware etc does not raise CodeStuff Starter as an issue.

Help.

Regards

laopa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:17 AM

I would bring the matter up in their support forum
http://www.pctools.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users