Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problems following (incomplete) deletion of malware destructor 2009

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chaosgnaw

chaosgnaw

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:06 PM

Hello, this is the first time I have posted a problem here, and I would greatly appreciate anyone who is able to help me solve this problem. This is what happened:

Today, I was surfing the net, and I got a balloon/fake alert from malware destructor 2009 that offered to get rid of the supposed threats in my laptop. However, I discovered that Norton is no longer in the system tray, and I can't seem to open add/remove program (that is to say, I click on it, but nothing happens). I saw that there were shortcuts created, so I found the target and deleted it. Then I ran spybot in safe mode and I think a bunch of stuff was deleted. After I rebooted, I discovered that Norton and add/remove program still cannot be opened, furthermore, I found that I can't open security center, and windows firewall in control panel either. I tried downloading superantispyware and malwarebytes to see if there are any more hidden things in my program, but neither program seem to be able to update their definitions; and when I ran them, they showed that they couldn't find anything in full system scans.

I also considered using recovery console, but every time i selected that, a blue screen appears, and the program shuts down.

Then I tried searching for what to do online and found this forum. I wanted to follow the instruction that I read before posting, but like I said, I can't do (5. enable a firewall) because I can't access it. And when I tried to run DDS, nothing happens (same as with norton and other programs).
Just for the record, I think that everything was working properly before the malware alert.

So here I am, posting without a DDS log, and without a clue what is causing the problem. Can someone please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:25 AM

DDS logs cannot be working here. That has to be done in the HJT forum. Instead, let's start with an online scan and work from there.

Please perform a scan with Eset Onlinescan (NOD32).
(Requires Internet Explorer to work. If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
Vista Users be sure to run Internet Explorer as Administrator. To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.)
  • You will see the Terms of Use. Tick the check-box in front of YES, I accept the Terms of Use
  • Now click Start.
  • You may receive an alert on the address bar that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Insall ActiveX component.
  • A new window will appear asking "Do you want to install this software?" (OnlineScanner.cab)".
  • Answer Yes to install and download the ActiveX controls that allows the scan to run.
  • Click Start. (the Onlinescanner will now prepare itself for running on your pc)
  • To do a full-scan, check: "Remove found threats" and "Scan potentially unwanted applications"
  • Press Scan to start the online scan. (this could take some time to complete)[/color]
  • When the scan has finished, it will show a screen with two tabs "overview" and "details" and the option to get information or buy software. Just close the window.
  • Now click Start > Run... > type: C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • The scan results will open in Notepad.
  • Copy and paste the log results in your next reply.
Note: Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn them back on after you are finished.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 chaosgnaw

chaosgnaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:13 AM

Sorry for the trouble, I talked to someone who seems to know about computers and just suggested i reinstall windows, which I did just now. However, I don't think my computer lets me run any online scans when it had the problem: all the ones i ran just stops responding even after i disable all the antivirus i have. Well anyway, thank you for taking time to look at my post.

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:12 PM

Not a problem... The only 100% way yo know your computer is clean is a reinstall.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users