Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway m-1625 OS change

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 L0jyq

L0jyq

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:31 PM

First off I'd like to apologize if this is posted in the wrong place...I didn't see a section about "drivers"

A friend of mine told me that she was sick of her Vista copy that came with her gateway, and she wanted XP on it.

Actually...a little backstory...

She's had this thing for a while now, and I've worked on it several times. She keeps managing to corrupt her copy of Vista somehow...

Anyway, this time she hands me the laptop and tells me it broke again, so I power it up. Sure enough, Vista is trying to run the startup repair...it "succeeds" then starts over again. And "succeeds" again, and starts over. A viscious cycle... :flowers:

So I tell her that I have a copy of XP that isn't in use (valid serial and all, not stolen), and that she can have it.

Problem is..I was't able to go into the device manager and write down all her hardware before this whole ordeal, so I don't really know what's in there.

Also, to top it all off, gateway support sucks. :thumbsup:

They won't give me a hardware list, and when I ask for drivers they point me to their site that has drivers that were shipped with it...for Vista.

I've managed to flash the bios, and I've found several "XP Drivers" for the hardware that I /thought/ was in it (based on the listing of vista drivers...but Gateway likes to use their proprietary part numbers, rather than the actual model number) and failed miserably.

As of right now....I have basic video (card without drivers), no audio, no network, none of the fancy bells and whistles that make the computer worth having.

I'm still searching, but they're all coming up with the same files, or the same old "download and buy X program and it will tell you what drivers you need!" bu I'm not going to spend money to fix a friends computer...and she can't afford to buy it.

I guess I'm hoping that one of the BC users has encountered something similar and can help me out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users